40

(Y/N POV)

But he loves me, loves me, loves me.

"Hey," Peter said softly, "you okay?"

My eyes flickered back up to him, and I sighed, "Yeah, sorry."

"It's okay, you just zoned out for a second."

"I did?"

"Yeah, just for a little bit."

It didn't feel like I zoned out, thinking about my dad felt like only a second. I tossed the juice box in my hand back and forth, pushing my lips side to side. Even with the raging party going on downstairs, I didn't feel like dancing.

"What were you thinking about?" Peter asked, sliding closer to me/

"Things," I smiled weakly, "just things."

"I love thinking about things," he grinned, "to think about things is a thing to think about."

"A few of my brain cells died hearing that."

"I thought you only had one?" he smirked.

"You're a jerk!" I laughed, nudging his shoulder, "one is still more than you have."

"Ouch!" he gasped, clutching his reactor and falling back, "you've hit me! I'm dying!"

I paused, thinking again. Leaning over him, I tapped on the mechanized heart and frowned.

"Does it hurt anymore?" I said quietly.

"I don't feel it," Peter whispered, his eyelids drooping, "but sometimes it just doesn't feel right. Like, emotionally."

"Emotionally?"

"Yeah," he mumbled, "this belonged to Tony, right? I feel like I never really earned it."

"Peter, you didn't have to," I sighed, "if there's anyone more deserving to hold up his legacy, it's you. My dad would have wanted you to have it."

He nodded, still uncertain, but grabbed my hand. I squeezed it, my nerves softening by his touch.

"Y/N, it's up."

I flinched at the sound of Ned's voice, but cleared my throat, "you're getting data?"

"Yeah, could you come up?"

"Sure, I'm on my way."

"Was that Ned?" Peter asked, sitting up, "I can come with you."

"It's okay, you should go back to our room"

"Our room?"

"Yes, Peter, just lock yourself in there in case things get out of hand."

"Out of hand?" he repeated, sliding off the counter, "of things get out of hand, I should be down there ready to catch Beck."

I shook my head, "you can't. Just go back to the room."

"Why can't I? I doubt your security team would be able to handle Beck alone! They don't know him and what he can do."

"Pete," I sighed, grabbing his shoulder, "don't fight."

"Why not?"

I put my hand on top of the reactor, sighing, "you need to stay safe. You aren't ready to be Spider-man yet. Please."

"Y/N-"

"Look, we don't even know if he's here. Things might not even get out of control! But I can't risk you getting hurt again."

"It doesn't matter," he fought, "I need to look out for you-"

"I can look out for myself," I said, letting go of him and walking towards the door, "Ethan, make sure he stays here."

"Don't do this-"

"I'm sorry Peter," I apologized, watching the doors slide closed. With a soft click of the lock, I turned my back on the room and made my way up to the satellite.

I heard the boy pounding at the glass, and a hole in my stomach started to twist into knots. I hated leaving him, but I had no other choice. If Beck really was here, then Peter needed to be safe.

He hasn't even put on his suit since Prague, and there's no telling if he's healthy enough to defend himself. I couldn't risk him getting hurt again. I couldn't risk him... dying again.

"What's the report," I said, striding into the lab, "is he here?"

"Oh, you're here," Ned said, spinning around in his chair, "listen, here's the thing-"

"Why does that not sound good?"

"Well, it's not good. Or bad. It's kind of neutral?"

"Okay... we can work with neutral, go on."

"Brace yourself," he said, pointing at the screen in front of him, "you see these red dots?"

A holographic map of the tower was projected into the air, and seven red icons were displayed randomly across the screen.

"Yeah," I nodded, "what do they mean?"

"The good news is," the man started, "Mysterio is here."

"Okay," I said, "that's good. We can take him down, easy."

"Not...easy. For some reason all of these dots have registered as Beck's DNA. of course, that's not possible, but we can't deny the foolproof satellite."

"There's seven of him?!"

"Yes, no- I really can't answer that. You said he has some sort of ability to become different people though, right?"

"Are you telling me that he could be projecting seven different versions of himself?"

"It's a possibility. But, he could have changed his form multiple times, and the scanners picked up on that."

"That seems more liable," I nodded, "can you pinpoint the locations?"

"I can give you the relative location, but it won't be accurate since they don't have a tracker on."

"So what's the plan?"

Ned cleared his throat and sighed, "we need to get everyone out."

_

tea