44

(Y/N POV)

Hit me with your best shot.

It's scary how the dark can bring out the worst in you.

For me, the worst was the fear.

Even though I knew what I had to do in the moment, being able to see nothing but the pitch black void around me consumed my bravery. I only had a moment to make a move, because Beck could grab Peter at any moment.

"Ned it started," I mumbled into my earpiece, "where is Peter?"

"Take three steps back, and he will be on your left."

"Can you override the system?"

"It will take a minute, try to play it out."

I bit my lip, hoping Ned was right. Taking three quick steps back, I heard Peter's silent sobs as he felt around in the darkness. Reaching my left hand out, I locked contact with his arm.

He flinched in fear, but I squeezed his hand.

"It's me," I said, "just hold onto my hand."

His Spidey-sense wasn't working, which meant he wasn't capable of defense at all. He was letting fear overcome him, and I didn't blame him. The last time this happened, he died.

"I need you to run," I whispered, "as soon as you can see again, you need to run."

"I'm not leaving you here," he pleaded, but I could hear the fault in his voice.

He was scared. I was scared. But I knew I couldn't afford to let that emotion enter my mind.

"Do you trust me," I said, trying not to let my voice waver, "Peter, do you?"

"Y-yes. I trust you."

"Then run, on my word," I assured, "ned are you ready?"

"Just regained control," I heard the man's voice through my earpiece, "10 seconds."

I counted the seconds down, each one lesser seeming more desperate than the one before. I felt the warmth of Peter's hand in mine, and I ran my thumb back and forth against the back of his palm. If this was the last time I would touch him, I wanted to remember every second of it.

"You're back online."

"Peter, go," I demanded, letting go of his hand.

Suddenly the black void disappeared, and we were back in the Hall of Armor. My eyes burned at the sudden exposure to light, and my body flinched when I felt Peter run by me.

Everything seemed to pass by in slow motion as he ran, Beck's realization covering his face in anger. As Peter neared the door, the man took a step forward, but we both knew he was too far away to catch him in time.

As Peter passed through the glass doors, his eyes flickered back to mine, and I felt something puncture my heart. He mouthed something I couldn't quite pick out, before disappearing into the hallway.

Beck let out a furious scream, preparing to chase after the escaping boy.

"I don't think so," I snapped, tapping on my watch.

My wrist was quickly surrounded by nano-particles, and they formed a thin metal glove around my fingers. As Mysterio neared the door, I held out my arm and let energy shoot out from my palm.

I stumbled back at the force of the repulser, but a satisfactory wave overtook that feeling when I saw Beck fly against the wall. Tokens I had displayed crashed down around him as he flew back, and the man slumped to the ground in a giant thud.

He wasn't going anywhere.

"Stand up," I barked at him, "and fight me like a human."

I was done with all that 'Fighting is wrong' crap, because it only ended in disaster last time. And if Beck wanted violence, he was going to feel it. I mean, there's a difference between fighting for fun, and fighting out of defense.

And I was going to do whatever the hell it took to defend my family.

Beck let out a painful groan, grabbing at the wall to pull himself onto his feet. He tapped the side of his control mic, letting out a stream of agitated curses when he realized nothing was happening.

"Did you really think your technology would work here?" I spat out, "you're on my turf, Beck, give it up."

"Well played, Stark," he grimaced, taking a step towards me, "but if you want to fight me, we fight as equals."

"You don't have a right to tell me how to handle this. Either you fight back as you are, or you give up."

"Giving up is for the weak," he grinned, "so let's fight. But since I'm defenseless, you need to lose your technology."

He pointed at the repulser on my wrist, and gestured at his weaponless body.

"Excuse me?" I scoffed.

"Let's fight, alright," he started, taking another step towards me, "but we fight man to man. No tech, no tricks."

"First of all, I'm a woman," I muttered, "and if you want to play like that, we're taking this outside."

"Scared, Stark?"

"Not scared, just mature," I hissed, "this tower is sacred, and I'm not going to damage it with a petty brawl."

"Petty?" the man laughed, "is that what you think this is?"

"Well, that's what you are, so why not?"

"I've killed before, you realize?" he grinned, "you've seen it first hand."

My fist clenched when I heard the snarkiness of his voice. He thought Peter's death was nothing more than a game, and it made me sick.

"Ethan, open the doors to the balcony," I commanded, taking off my watch.

"Yes, miss Stark."

The windows unlocked with a quick snap, and the entrance to the balcony started to slide open. My dad had this second entrance installed after Loki threw him out a window, and I was glad to finally use it.

"Go," I demanded, pointing to the cold city outside.

I tossed my watch onto the table and followed Beck onto the grassy floor. It was dark outside, the faint sound of traffic coming from the ground below. It was a long drop from where I stood, and since we both stood defenseless, if we fell off it would mean death.

As the glass doors slid closed behind me, I realized there was no going back.

"Let's go," I taunted, putting up a fist.