44

hey! If you're uncomfortable with violence or guns, you don't have to read! lmk and I'll fill you in!

It's a short chapter, but some people might still need the heads up :)

_

(Y/N POV)

I need a hero.

I just don't understand how they do it.

I'm sure by now everyone here has seen a superhero do parkour, or some kind of gymnastic level trick, and wished they could do it.

Well that was me. I wished I could do it.

Beck swung a fist towards my face, so I ducked and punched him in the stomach. But it wasn't cool!

I know, I know, this was supposed to be a dramatic fight to the death. But that's for the heroes that actually have powers, or some kind of gadget! Beck and I had neither of those, and we were just having a petty fist fight on the balcony.

I watched as the man stumbled back, but he came running back at me with full force. Diving towards me, I put my hands in front of my face to defend myself. We toppled over, but I managed to get the upper hand, and whacked him straight in the face.

He yelled out in pain, as blood came streaming down his face, "YOU BITC-"

I punched him again before he finished that sentence.

"You give up, yet?" I spat out.

The man didn't answer, but let his head fall back and hit the ground. I let out a heavy sigh, and climbed off of him, bruises running along my body. The man looked like he had been knocked out, but I wasn't sure yet.

I waved a hand over his face, expecting him to grab my wrist and break it.

But he didn't.

"Finally," I complained, struggling to get up, "Ethan, can you open the lab doors?"

"Yes, Miss Stark."

"Can you get Happy up here to clean up this mess, too?"

"Of course."

I nodded, wiping blood off my lip. Beck had managed to sock me clean in the jaw a few minutes earlier, and it still hurt like hell. As the glass doors started to slide open, I limped my way towards it.

But that was until I heard the click of a gun.

"Move, and I'll shoot."

I spun around slowly, a pit forming in my stomach. Beck, obviously, was not knocked out. A pistol was clutched in his hand, the barrel pointing straight at me.

He must have hid it in his pocket.

"You cheated-" I said through gritted teeth, "what happened to playing fair?"

"I thought I'd be able to handle you physically," he started, "but I guess you were stronger than I thought."

"Put it down, Beck."

"I'm not letting you win this time," he yelled, obviously unstable.

I must have hit him hard enough to damage the nerves in his brain, because he began to speak with a slur, his eyes drooping.

"Listen," I said, putting my hands up, "you're hurt. Put the gun down, and I won't kill you."

"I'm going to kill you!"

"You look like you're going to kill yourself, first."

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

He started to scream, his eyes filled with hatred and anger. I didn't think he'd actually shoot, but with every second that went by, he wasn't budging. At any moment, a bullet could shoot out of there, and hit me straight in the head.

"I want to watch you die," he said, "and then I'm going to kill everyone else."

"Don't you care that those people are innocent?! "

"As if you knew what innocence was," he accused again, "you're a horrible person, Stark."

"Compared to you? You're a murderer."

"Doesn't make you any better. You only think about yourself, because you think you're never in the wrong. Remember Wakanda?"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

The gun was still pointed at me. Just the slip of a finger could end my life, and Beck was getting more and more agitated by the second.

"I watched it all. When that- Parker boy, told you he wanted to stay, you ran away. You didn't consider his feelings, because you're selfish."

"That has nothing to do with this-"

"And when Peter came back to find you? Guess what you did?"

"Beck, stop-"

"GUESS WHAT YOU DID!"

I took a step back in fear. It didn't seem real at first, but now I was scared he would pull the trigger.

"I don't know!" I yelled back, my voice shaking, "I don't remember!"

"You ran," he spat out, "you ran. You hopped on a portal and left. You didn't care how it would hurt anyone else, you only cared about yourself."

"You don't know what I was going through-" I mumbled, "you wouldn't understand-"

"I do understand, Stark, I understand everything. You're just like your father. You're a coward."

"My father wasn't a coward!"

"You both are! You think you're so much better than everyone else, that when someone makes you vulnerable, you get scared and run away."

"My father was a great man," I yelled defensibly, "I may be a coward, but he's not like me."

"Well both of you will end up the same," he said, "dead."

It all happened in slow motion. Beck's fingers started to pull the trigger, and I had nowhere to run. A new feeling overcame me, one I wished I never had to feel. I didn't feel this scared in Prague, when I jumped off the building, because it wasn't real. I knew I wasn't going to die.

But now I'm helpless.

And alone.