Chapter 1 : Kabir

There's magic in this world. Some choose to believe in it, and some choose to remain untouched with it. Kabir was one such guy who was stuck in the cusp. He remained untouched with the magic that was about to touch him in the coming days.

A popular star, Kabir was elusive, to say the least. His enigma, and his aura was infectious. You couldn't help but fall for him. He knew the effect he had on people. His walk, his demeanor, everything about him was perfect. He was special, he knew. There was everything he could wish for. Fame, family, fandom, fortune, friends - he had everything, yet he missed on one thing. Feelings. He had become immune to feelings. His life hadn't been a bed of roses. And that changed him. That happy go lucky Kabir, was now a superstar. And every good actor knows how to play the part.

Living in his plush apartment in the city of dreams, Kabir nurtured dreams of his own. Waking up to someone who truly loves him for the person he is, and not for the personality he has gone on to become. Every time that space near him was occupied, he thought, this is it. But soon, it would become empty. That space on bed is now empty forever, he thinks. He cannot let anyone take it up anymore. His heart cannot be broken anymore.

Every year, as he turns older, he yearns to go back and become the Kabir who hadn't experienced all this fame. Perhaps, then, he wouldn't be so harsh on himself and those who tried to love him. What does he expect? He thinks sometimes, on lonely nights. The answer is always silence.

It is his birthday tomorrow. Another year passes, he thinks. He has just returned from a rigorous shoot. Tomorrow, he has to put up the show. Call friends, enjoy the night, or rather pretend to. How he wishes he could be left alone. He doesn't want anything. He wants peace. But peace is the most pricey thing in his life. Something, even his fame and money cannot afford.

It's almost 11 in the night, and Kabir puts on his jogging shoes. He needs to clear his mind, and working out is the only way he can do that. Carefully locking the door, he tucks in his bluetooth piece. Lost in the beats, he presses the elevator button. It's taking ages for the lift to come up to the 12th floor. Usually, it doesn't take that much time. He is getting irritated. But he waits nonetheless.

Finally the lift is here. The doors slide open and Kabir almost rushes in. But right then, he stops. He has never seen her before. Surrounded with cardboard boxes and two big suitcases, this seemingly happy girl looks at him in confusion. Her eyes are a mix of confusion and guilt. But not awe. She is not starstruck. "Hey, am so sorry. My boxes were too heavy, so it took me some time to carry them inside the lift. Do you mind holding the lift?" she asks innocently. Kabir smiles and holds the door. This was the first time he was not made to feel like the star he is. It was a little crushing at first, but he liked this feeling. This feeling of being made to feel like he isn't special. Perhaps, this is what he was craving for his birthday?

His trail of thoughts is broken with a jerk as the suitcase stumbles and almost hits his foot. Making a sorry face, the girl immediately moves it, making it stand upright. "Hi, I am Khushi, shifted to A 1200! Sorry once again for all the chaos. I am new, and honestly, a little all over the place, as you can see," she giggles as she extends her hand. Kabir is confused. Does she not know who he is? Does she expect him to shake her hand? He is Kabir Sikand, the Kabir Sikand rather. Kabir Sikand doesn't shake hands just like that. But something makes him shake hers. "Hi, Kabir. Welcome!" he curtly says and gets inside the lift. The door closes and Kabir doesn't fail to notice the surprise on her face.

As he presses the ground floor's button, he can't help but think about the girl. After finishing his jog, Kabir sees the watch. 11.30 PM. He enters the elevator making a mental note of the calls he is going to receive at 12. Right then, Kabir notices a wallet. It is a ladies' wallet. He opens it to see if there is an ID Card or any other proof? His eyes fall on the name printed on the driver's license tucked inside the wallet. Khushi Grewal. He rolls his eyes and decides to give it to her personally.

A little hesitant at first, Kabir rings the bell finally. Khushi takes a good 5 minutes before opening the door. Her wet hair indicates that she has just taken a shower. She is confused and honestly, a little scared too. Kabir sensing her thoughts, shows her the wallet. Khushi's expression changes and she bursts out saying, "Thank you so much! You're a saviour!" Kabir smiles and turns around to leave. "Hey wait Kabir, come inside for coffee! I owe you one. I never keep my debts. I always repay them right there. I make amazing coffee. Please come inside," Khushi beams with joy. Kabir tries to convince her in every possible way, but finally gives in. A cup of coffee seems like a doable thing he decides.

There's a mattress and a row of boxes. He refuses to sit on the mattress, but finally obliges. The clock strikes 12 as Khushi is about to pour the coffee in the cups. His phone rings. "Thank you mummy. I love you," Kabir says. One call after the other, Kabir's endless thank yous tell Khushi that it is his birthday. She immediately gets an idea.

While Kabir is almost done answering the calls, he sees Khushi come from the kitchen. In her right hand is a burning candle, and in her right hand is an ice cream tub. Her thumb and index finger balancing two spoons, Khushi hands over the ice cream tub to Kabir, indicating him to keep it on one of the boxes. He is confused, but obliges. She places the candle on the other box.

"Happy birthday Kabir!" She hugs him and wishes him. Kabir is taken aback. Is this girl for real? Forget him being a star. He is a stranger. How can she trust him like this? How can she get so close so easily, he thinks. "See I didn't have cake but just this tub of strawberry ice cream. My favourite flavour. So why don't you scoop it and think that you are cutting a cake?" Khushi gushes.

Kabir is surprised. This gesture right there, made him feel so special. As he scoops the ice cream with his spoon, he gives the bite to Khushi, who scoops her share and feeds him. They smile. Something tells Kabir, this birthday is going to be special.

As Kabir opens the door of his house, he is reminded of the door of his heart that has been locked for ages now. The door that is about to open soon.