Chapter 10 : Words

As dawn breaks, so does the news of Kabir and Rheesa. Khushi wakes up with notifications on her phone. The headlines are ablaze with "Ex-Gf Rheesa moves in with Kabir Sikand!", "Is the popular celebrity couple back together?", "Kabir Sikand can't move on, yet!", "Rheesa and Kabir are madly in love!", and so on. Khushi switches her phone off in retaliation, and reminds herself of the promise she made to self - the one about keeping her career above everything else.

As Kabir wakes up on the sofa, he realises that he never ended up sleeping on the bed. It is strange, he wonders. There was a time when he couldn't even think of staying away from Rheesa. Not because they are in love, but because he liked her, and perhaps was attracted to her beyond control. As Rheesa is still asleep, Kabir goes on to make himself some black coffee. He thinks about savouring the coffee in his balcony but decides against it. He cannot risk seeing Khushi. Not now. He is too vulnerable, and so is she. It's best that he avoids her, as much as possible. He wonders if he will truly be successful as she is his neighbour.

His thoughts come to a screeching halt as his phone rings. It's his manager again. "Yes Meira, I will be there on time tomorrow...Please don't get worried about these small things....No, Rheesa is fine now....No, I will not cancel tomorrow's shoot....Please breathe.....It's going to be fine.....Yes I am excited...Yes...Bye!" Kabir hangs up the phone finally. Honestly, he was excited about making his big debut in the world of web series, but he doesn't know how to feel about it, anymore.

He doesn't notice Rheesa standing behind him. A sudden movement and Kabir realises about her presence. He turns around and smiles. "Good morning Rheesa. Did you sleep well?" he asks with a smile that hides his pain. Rheesa doesn't return that smile. She comes and sits next to him. "I was supposed to be with you in this web series, Kabir..." she trails off and looks at the floor. Kabir tries to cheer her up. "It's okay baby. They wanted someone who isn't too experienced. They wanted to cast a fresh face..." he realises what he just said, the moment those words escaped his mouth.

Rheesa gives him a sharp look. "You think my face isn't fresh enough anymore, Kabir? You think I am done, right? The Rheesa Mehra, is done! She is no longer wanted, like Kabir Sikand. She is old news," Rheesa vents out. Kabir gets it, as always. Rheesa's insecurities haunt her, and his words intensified it further. "Rheesa, they wanted someone whom they can afford!" Kabir lies. He knows only that can pacify her now.

"All I wanted was us to be in that web series Kabir. You and I - we look so good together. It was meant to be. I don't even know who is going to be a part of that show now! Actually, I am not even interested anymore. I have got you, and that's enough for now," she sits back as she says these words. Kabir thinks hard about what she said, especially the "enough for now" bit. Why would she say something like that?

"Rheesa, is that why you are with me? Because we look good together? Because you think it's a good move for you professionally?" he asks point blank. Rheesa is shattered, and she looks at him with questions in her eyes, "You think I am with you for my career? Is that why I tried to take my life yesterday, Kabir? You are truly unbelievable Kabir!" Rheesa storms off and goes to the kitchen in a rush. After about five odd minutes, a scream escapes her. As Kabir rushes in, he is shocked. She has slit her wrist and blood is oozing from her veins. Kabir tries to get close and Rheesa warns him not to come near her.

Kabir pleads and pleads, but Rheesa smiles and cries, both at the same time. "Let me go Kabir....how could you think that I was with you for my career...." her words become incoherent. Kabir cannot think properly. His mind goes blank. And suddenly there's a face that takes shape in his eyes. That of Khushi's. He leaves Rheesa in that state and rushes. Rheesa is almost unconscious by then.

He rings Khushi's bell almost thrice before she opens it. One look at Kabir and she realises that something is wrong. Kabir tries to tell her what has just happened and ultimately grabs her hand to take her along. Khushi obliges. As Khushi tries to stop the blood, Kabir frantically calls their family physician. He reaches just in time and takes care of the situation.

As Rheesa is asleep, the doctor tells something peculiar to Kabir. "I think she will be fine Kabir. But, I am not sure if she wanted to commit suicide. I think it was an act of anger, Kabir. Try sorting things out between yourselves. One of you is going to be really hurt, otherwise..." Khushi is lost in her own thoughts and doesn't hear any of this.

As the doctor leaves, once again Khushi and Kabir are left to themselves. This is the first time Khushi has come to his house. It's gorgeous, she reckons. "Your house is beautiful Kabir..." she says timidly. "Khushi, can we talk? Like friends?" he responds. That "friend" pierced her heart but she gives in, considering what they went through today. She nods with a smile.

"Khushi, Rheesa and I have been in a relationship for some 10 months now. We have gone through a lot. We met during a shoot and we hit it off. But we have been on and off for the last few months. I finally decided that it's enough and we broke up. I didn't kiss you when we were together, Khushi. I kissed you after we broke up. I didn't do anything wrong Khushi...It's just that Rheesa needs me now...she cannot move on...I don't know what is in store for me Khushi. Perhaps, Rheesa is the one....she loves me a lot...why else would she try to kill herself..." Kabir breaks away as he gets overwhelmed with helplessness and emotions.

Khushi looks at him with love in her eyes. Perhaps, they can just remain friends in this lifetime, she deduces. Kabir looks at her and thinks, "Thank god I have her in my life. So what, if we are just friends...that's enough for this lifetime..."

Kabir realises that he is keeping Khushi and says, "Hey Khushi, thanks for being there for me today. Can we exchange numbers if you don't have a problem? This ringing the bell infinite times business isn't that neighbourly, is it? And, don't worry. My shoot for my first ever web series begins tomorrow. I won't be around much. This is my first web series, you know? I am really excited. It will be in the news soon, but I can share this much with you."

"What's the name of the series Kabir?" Khushi asks point blank, not paying heed to that gnawing feeling in her heart.

As Kabir says the name out loud, Khushi goes numb.

Destiny Tales - Khushi's first ever break.

Destiny Tales - Kabir's first ever web-series.

As Khushi manages to give her number in haste, she decides that she is not going to do the show anymore.