Chapter 21 : Reality

Khushi wakes up with loud noises. Ahir was banging the door. The reality came splashing. It was all a dream. That kiss, that fear of losing Ahir. It was all a dream. How could she dream about him like that? What was her heart telling her? In an instant she gets up to open the door.

"Khushi hurry! We have to leave. Kabir is awake. He has come out of the coma!" an impatient Ahir almost yells. She looks at him and he shakes her to break her out of her trans. And suddenly she starts sobbing. Kabir is finally conscious. As they are on the way, Khushi asks, "Ahir, why are you so nice to me?" Ahir looks at her and smiles. "Coz I really think you haven't had many nice people in your life, and you deserve a few," he says without losing track of the road.

As they reach Kabir's room, Khushi has butterflies in her stomach. All of them are waiting outside for the doctor to call them in after his check up. Rheesa, Ahir, Khushi - sitting outside. Three of them connected with each other in their own ways. The nurse comes out and says one at a time. Rheesa gets up but sits down and gestures to Khushi to go inside. Ahir smiles and his hand rubs Rheesa's right shoulder. The right thing to do, the rub indicates.

Khushi tiptoes inside, unable to believe that Kabir is finally in his senses. As she looks at him, a tear trickles down. He looks at her and shuts his eyes. She sees the tears that trickle down his eyes too. Finally he opens his eyes and his arms both. Khushi runs and finally they are together.

The next day, like a clockwork Khushi wakes up to get ready for the hospital and realises that Kabir is all fine. She can shift back to her apartment, she decides. Embarrassed about her dream, she is unable to talk to Ahir and he notices that. Ahir finally asks her, "You look a little zoned out for someone whose loved one is out of the coma!" She hits him jokingly and decides to come out in the open. He is one person she can be honest with.

"I dreamt of you Ahir. Before Kabir came back from his coma. I dreamt about us..." her voice drifts off and Ahir smiles. "Look Khushi, let's cut to the chase. You know that I have feelings for you. I know that you know that. I can feel it. Regarding that dream, don't think much. Give yourself some credit. You have been through so much and I don't think you can actually feel anything in a dream. I think all of the things you have been going through made your brain go crazy. It can happen to anyone. You consider me as a good friend. And perhaps after Kabir, it was me you could trust and you were on the verge of losing Kabir, and you didn't want to lose me too. Perhaps it's just that!" Ahir rationalises her dream.

Khushi smiles. Satisfied with his theory. If only he knew that she dreamt of kissing him. She didn't want to go on as they were getting late. Kabir was to be discharged today and Khushi didn't want to waste a minute. An hour later, and several formalities later, as Ahir drives Khushi and Kabir back to his house, Kabir looks at Khushi and Ahir. He thinks to himself, what is it that he feels for Khushi. And how different is it from what Ahir feels for her. Was he selfish and was Ahir selfless? Perhaps that was the difference. His thoughts come to a halt when they reach their apartment.

As Rheesa opens the door of Kabir's apartment, they notice the suitcase that's parked near the sofa. It's time for her to move on. Ahir settles them in and tells Khushi that he will drop her stuff later. Kabir looks for a moment and after both of them are alone, asks Khushi, "Do you love him Khushi?"

Khushi replies, "I think I do, but I love you more Kabir..."