Chapter 17 : Crossroad

As Khushi wakes up, she feels relaxed. She feels that she is free. Of all her stress. Her worries. Her repressed feelings. Then suddenly she is reminded of how she made a fool of herself. By confessing about her feelings to Kabir the night before. She was so vulnerable. She now hates herself for feeling that way. No control over herself. She is not like this. She hates this version of her.

As she is lost in her thoughts, Ahir knocks the door. She suddenly remembers that she is in Ahir's home and not hers. A wave of embarrassment hits her. She was so vulnerable that she had to be cared for by an almost stranger. Right then, Ahir's face flashes in her mind and it calms her down. Her safe harbour, that was Ahir. She knew how Ahir felt for her. He never told her anything but she can feel. In many ways, she knows how he feels. She feels the same way. Loving without expecting in return.

No, she wasn't that selfless. She had expectations. Many. From Kabir. And the fact that these expectations weren't fulfilled, she drove herself to madness. But no more, she decides. Upon the second knock, she hurriedly gets up to open the door. True to his character, Ahir is looking down and not into her eyes. She has just woken up. He wanted to give her some time to get ready. He just wanted to give her coffee. As he hands over the tray, Khushi looks at him, full of respect.

The wooden tray is oval shaped. A black ceramic mug of coffee, with some cookies and a beautiful white rose are placed aesthetically on the tray. She is in awe. Ahir is truly an artist, she wonders. Little does she know that Ahir doesn't care about anyone like the way he does for her. Or perhaps she does. But this time, she doesn't want to remind herself of that, so that she feels less guilty.

As she finishes her morning cup, she comes out to greet Ahir, who has already started preparing breakfast by then. As she calls out his name, he smiles. He likes hearing his name from her. The shoot is in the second half, and Ahir offers to drop Khushi home. After some initial hesitation, Khushi obliges.

As they drive to her home, they are silent. But Khushi is happy. Ahir's company is peaceful. He reminds her that not all relationships need to have a name. He is so selfless, she wishes she could be like him. The short ten minute drive seems like a minute when they arrive. Khushi is wondering how she did not realise where the time went. They were not even talking.

As she gets down from the car, she invites Ahir for a cup of coffee. A true gentleman, he hesitates and finally refuses. Khushi doesn't force him. Little does Khushi know that Kabir catches a glimpse of Ahir as he leaves their apartment complex. Their cars intersect. While Ahir doesn't see Kabir, he does. It doesn't take him a minute to deduct what must have happened.

He is happy for her. That's what he constantly tries to tell his palpating heart. As he gets ready for the shoot, he is in no mood to see Khushi and Ahir. He is caught in this whirlwind of emotions. He has invited this upon him. He chose Rheesa. He chose her over Khushi. He was toying between the both of them. What was he expecting? Was he expecting Khushi to be okay with that? Does she deserve it? How can he be so selfish, he curses himself.

As he reaches the set, he searches for Khushi. Unable to find her, he looks for Ahir. Upon seeing him going through the scenes with the crew, he heaves a sigh of relief. His mind has been playing tricks and he has been getting restless.

The shoot goes on and Kabir and Khushi play their parts effortlessly. That of nonchalant lovers who go on with their lives without the other being a part of it. This was easy for both of them. They have been living this. Ahir notices every little thing. How Khushi's tears are not fake. How Kabir's emotions are not for the camera only. He feels disgusted at a point. Is he exploiting them? He thinks. Then he realises, Noor and Shakya are fictional characters. How is it his fault that the ones destiny chose to play their roles, are truly living their lives?

As Ahir says, "Cut" a voice says on the mic, "Kabir, can you please stay?" It's Rheesa. Blinded by the lights, Kabir is a little taken aback. Khushi slowly leaves the spot. As his eyes adjust to the bright lights, Kabir notices Rheesa on her knees with a ring in her hand. He is too shocked to react. Everyone is cheering for them, with flashes of camera clicking every second. The celebrity couple. Rheesa and Kabir, getting married. This is the fairytale ending every story deserves. If only they knew the truth. Ahir is too dumbfounded to react. Who does this? He thinks. Make a display of something so personal?

Kabir looks around and finds Khushi. She is standing next to Ahir. She has no clue that Kabir is noticing who is standing beside her. As he sees both of them together, he looks at Rheesa and says, "Yes!" Cheerful cries and hoots fill up the air and Khushi walks back, defeated.

As she is walking towards her trailer, a hand comes and holds hers. It's Ahir's. She looks at him and rests her head on his shoulder. She is relieved. Finally, she can let go. Finally, she can move on.

If only. Destiny still has a lot in store for her. Her road is now forked. One that leads to Kabir, and the other leads to Ahir. She is at a crossroad. Which road will she take?

Her phone buzzes and it's a message from Kabir.

Your home. 1 AM tonight. We need to talk.