Chapter 4 : Mistake

As Kabir walks back with the ice trays, he is happy to see Khushi. Now that he has to carry on with the facade, he prepares to do so with a fake smile on his face. The faces that are smiling with him, hiding the real intentions so well, that he almost finds it difficult to believe that they are this good at hiding their reality.

As the night progresses and people leave one after the other, Kabir feels lonely. So much so that he starts drinking again. He has already a lot to drink and he can barely stand. After an hour or so, he makes a headway to the door, swaying under the influence of alcohol. He manages to get out of his house and almost falls in front of A1200. Khushi Grewal - the name plate shines bright even in the dark hour of 2 AM.

He rings the bell. Once, twice and then thrice - and then as he is about to press it the fourth time, Khushi opens the door. She is shocked to see Kabir at this hour. He almost falls on her, and she barely manages to hold him.

As she makes him sit on the newly assembled sofa, she goes to bring some water. Right when she is about to move, Kabir holds her back and makes her sit. She almost falls on him and then sits on the floor, facing him. Kabir looks at her and starts crying. Khushi is worried now. What is wrong? Is he fine? He is clearly drunk. The stench of alcohol almost makes her uneasy.

"Why did she do this to me Khushi?" Kabir slurs as he manages to speak his heart. Khushi is confused but Kabir doesn't give her any chance to ask him questions. "She broke my heart again Khushi. Why? I cannot deal with this anymore! She wants us to move on, but she keeps doing this, time and again. Comes close to me, only to hurt me more...Khushi I am tired," Kabir continues amidst sobs.

Khushi is overwhelmed. She doesn't know what to do. She hugs him and presses his head to her chest while calming him down. "Kabir, I think you should go and sleep now. It's very late, and I think you need to rest Kabir. Let me walk you back," Khushi gets up. But Kabir pulls her close, and almost forces her to sit with him.

Khushi manages to sit and Kabir continues, "I hate her Khushi. I hate her. She doesn't deserve me. But why do I miss her so much? She came today. I didn't want her to, but she did. I wanted you to be there Khushi, you weren't. I was missing you Khushi..." His words are as confusing as Khushi's state right now. She doesn't know what to make of what he has just said.

Kabir's eyes shut close and he barely manages to keep still. Khushi makes him lie down on the sofa. A scandalised Khushi has never had an almost stranger in her house at this hour of the night. Looking at Kabir, she realises that he is in no state to move, and it's best that he spends the night at her place.

She brings a blanket and carefully tugs it around him. How peaceful he looks. Who would think that he nurtures such sorrow in his heart, Khushi thinks out loud. As she is about to go inside and call it a night, Kabir gets up.

He pulls Khushi by her hand and she falls on him. At that moment, a wave of emotions runs through her body and she almost shivers. Kabir's touch is electrifying and Khushi has never felt like this before. Kabir is in his senses, Khushi thinks. Kabir's right hand sits firmly on Khushi's left arm, almost grabbing her. He places his left hand on her cheek with his thumb caressing it.

Right then, both his hands hold her face tenderly yet confidently. Kabir pulls her close and parts his lips. Khushi is too surprised to react. All she knows is that she doesn't pull back and lets Kabir get closer than ever. As their lips touch, Khushi almost shivers. Kabir's confident caress meets Khushi's tender reflex.

After what seems like a blip, Kabir lets her go. Khushi doesn't know what to do. She didn't want this to happen, yet she didn't want this to stop. Kabir is too disoriented to realise what just happened.

As Khushi puts him to sleep, she goes inside her room and affirms herself that this was a mistake, one that shall never be repeated. Little does she know that Kabir's dream repeats the mistake they just made.