Chapter 2 : Khushi

If life had a face, it would be that of Khushi's. A 20-something girl nurturing dreams, Khushi's smile would make you believe that there's happiness in this world if you choose to seek it. Every despair, every sorry would melt away when Khushi said, "It's going to be okay!" - her favourite words.

A young singer, Khushi decided to shift to the city of dreams after tasting success in her hometown. Staying in her friend's house for the first few months, Khushi finally bagged a role in a web series, and now could afford a plush house of her own. Today was the day she was going to move houses, and her excitement was beyond control.

"First, living room, then bedroom, then kitchen - this is the order in which I am going to set up my house!" an elated Khushi tells her friend. "You know the building you are shifting to is home to many celebrities?" her friend chimes in! Khushi makes an expression, that says, "So what?" They both smile and continue packing her stuff.

They are finally done when the clock chimes in 10. Her friend tells her to stay back today and move tomorrow, but Khushi is adamant. She has to move in today! She was a little obstinate that way. Whatever she sets her heart to, she does. Carefully loading all the boxes and the two big suitcases in the cab, Khushi gives a teary but happy hug to her friend!

Satellite Towers. Her abode, her home - she finally has one! A1200 - the place she gets to call her own! She calls for the lift and loads the boxes one by one. Everytime she pushes the box inside, the doors almost slide close till she stops it with her right foot. The ritual continues and she presses the button 12. She sits on one of the suitcases, tapping her foot and humming her song. It's finally here!

The doors open and she is almost too excited to notice that there's someone standing outside. Upon realising, she beams with her trademark smile. One that makes her eyes squint. The person standing in front of her barely reacts. She is taken aback. He could have at least smiled! She couldn't care less. But she has to be nice, so she extends her hand and introduces herself. All she gets back is a monotone, "Hi, Kabir! Welcome." A pang of despair hits at the aloofness this guy shows. But she tells herself, "It's going to be okay!" like always, and gets on with it.

After arranging the boxes and laying out the mattress, Khushi decides to take a shower. Thank god she had gotten the place cleaned yesterday! At 11 in the night, she couldn't bear cleaning the house herself. She's just done with her bath and the bell rings. Hurriedly she dons her night clothes but is a little apprehensive before opening the door.

Tipping on her toes she peeps out from the eye hole to see who's it. It's that same guy. What does he need? She reluctantly opens the door with questions in her eyes. But the wallet that Kabir flashes eases her doubts. Thank god! Imagine losing her wallet on the first night itself. She needs to repay the kindness immediately, as always. Coffee seems to be a good way to do that. Khushi convinces Kabir to have a cup of coffee. At 11.45 in the night.

While making her amazing coffee, Khushi overhears the endless calls he receives. It's his birthday! How can she celebrate this guy's birthday? She remembers the tub of ice cream in her fridge. And thus, she cans the coffee and gets the ice cream instead.

As Kabir scoops out a bite sized amount of ice cream, Khushi notices a smile on his face. The one that was hidden all this while. "Hmm, he is not that rude after all!" she decides in her mind. As Kabir goes on to feed her, she is taken aback, but she follows suit by feeding him a spoonful of that yummy strawberry ice cream. Her favourite flavour!

"Kabir, what's your favourite flavour?" Khushi asks, at 12.10 in the midnight. Kabir is amused as he answers, "Chocolate!" Khushi makes a face and says, "Expected and boring!" and giggles. Kabir gets up and thanks her for the sweet gesture. As Khushi shuts the door behind him, she looks at the tub of ice cream and the two spoons. "Hmm, not bad for the first night, at least I made an acquaintance." she thinks.

It is close to 12.30 now and Khushi cannot sleep. So, she heats the coffee she had left making midway and goes out to experience the Mumbai night in the balcony. As the cool breeze blows her hair away from her face, she looks around. On the balcony next to hers, stands Kabir looking up in the sky intently.

"Hey!!! Birthday boy!" she shouts and startles Kabir. He looks at her and waves. He gestures with both his hands to ask her why is she awake still. She lifts her coffee mug to answer his question. Her expression makes him smile. His reaction makes her wonder why was he this curt to her in the beginning.

As Kabir waves her goodnight and comes back to that empty space on his bed, he despises the onslaught of fakeness this day is going to bring to him. Fake wishes, fake parties, fake behaviour - he wishes to just go somewhere and not return. But, perhaps, for the superstar Kabir Sikand, this will never be the option.

As Khushi finally calls it a night and looks at the mattress that is spread across the floor, she thanks her stars for giving her everything that she could think of. A roof to sleep under, a bank account with enough for her to survive, and a future that looks bright.

As the stars shine bright and the cool wind blows, the heavens smile. For they conspired to bring these two seemingly different people together. And now, it's on them bringing this conspiracy to life.