9

"Ubuyashiki-sama, I...I can't accept it."
.
.
"What are you stupid? He's making you a hashira, and you declining it. "
.
.
It's a flamboyant title and you're going to throw it away?"
.
.
"How pitiful. You're the second strongest slayer within the Corps and you're refusing it. "
.
.
.
"I'm not strong at all. I'm weak, I've failed to protect those who I've loved and care about. I'm sorry Ubuyashiki-sama.
.
.
.
.
That was the last time I was at the Ubuyashiki Estate, and the last time I was among the pillars. Since I refused the rank of Kinoe five years ago, I remain a Kinoto and became the Demon Slayers Corps very first Intel gatherer. Because of that, I am known as the "Lone Wanderer" throughout the land and among the Slayers. Ever since then I've been wandering. Looking for traces of the Upper Moons and gathering intel on them. Not only that, but I've been protecting those who do not have contact with the Demon Slayers Corps. I spent five years away from everybody. From the ones I love. Only communicating with Ubuyashiki-sama or with Shinobu. But I wasn't all alone on my journeys though.

Regarded as one of the fastest Demon Slayer within the Corps, I was always too late...always too late. The guily has never left my mind, it has followed me everywhere I go. And a as result it has given me nightmares. Nightmares about the guilt of not being there on time, not being able to save them, not being able to do anything. But it hasn't stopped me from doing my duty, from being the best that I can be each and everyday. As long as I live, I vow to kill the demon that has taken everything away from me.

As I arrived at the front gates of the Ubuyashiki Estate, I started having second doubts. As wave of anxiety that I've never experienced before hit me. I was scared that I would get ridiculed for turning my back on the hashira. I stood there for a couple minutes before I heard the voice of a woman and felt a soft and tender hand on my shoulder.
.
.
.
"Go on, Kiyoshi."
.
.
.
My body jolted forward. I looked back to see if it was real, if the voice I heard and hand I felt was real. There was no one. I was confused, thinking to myself if I had lost my mind. I snapped back into reality and gave myself a little pep talk.

"Come on Kiyoshi, you can do this. You have nothing be scared of. Go on and go."

I inhale and then exhale, and walked past the gates and towards the emergency meeting. As I got closer to the meeting, the sound of ruckus grew louder and louder. As I turned the corner, I saw all the pillars lined up and kneeling on one knee. That's when I saw a battered Tanjiro standing up to Saneim out of all people.

"What the hell is wrong with this kid?"

That's when I examined the scene a bit more closely. Sanemi was holding the box that Tanjiro carries Nezuko in and he had his sword out. Putting two and two together, I realized what was about to happen.

"Oh shit!"

But before I could do anything, Sanemi stabbed his sword through the box and a little bit a blood came gushing out the other end. Again before I could do anything, Tanjiro went berserk and rushed  Saneim head on (Literally). He rushed him and headbutt him, causing him to fall to the ground and dropping the box. That's when I decided to act. I moved quickly and went to grab the box before he could get it.

"Damn you, I'll rip you to shreds!"

I grabbed the box and moved in front of Tanjiro, shielding him from Saneim.

"That's enough Sanemi, we must wait for Ubuyashiki-sama before we can think about punishments."I stated. As I stood there, notice that the hashira were shocked that I, out of all people, was here. My eyes met with Shinobu, who was somewhat surprised and disappointed at me.