14.5

(Later that night)
.
.
.
After beating the demon, we were hailed as heros throughout the town. Local doctors from the town tended to our wounds and made sure nothing serious happened to. After apologizing to everyone about the damages done to the town and getting various gifts from the townsfolk, we made our way out of there. We decided to camp for the night, eat some food and rest for the night.

"I can't believe they gave us all of this. We got enough food to last us a couple of weeks." Itsuki said while holding a carrot in one hand and a slab of meat in the other.

"Give me that." Hiyori said as she took them away from him. She went back to the camp fire we started and began cutting up the carrot and beef. She said she'll cook us up something to eat while we rested. Man I didn't even know she could cook.

"How's the wound treating you?" Itsuki asked.

"Its better now, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out."

"You got to be careful next time. Make sure something like that doesn't happen again or we'll be sad. Right Hiyori." He said.

She didn't say anything. That was unusual of her. Me and Itsuki shrugged it off and kept talking amongst ourselves. After a while, Hiyori served us our food which was a type of stew. I found out later that it was beef stew.

"Wow Hiyori, this meal is amazing."

Her face turned a bit red when I told her this and she looked away in embarrassment, presumably still mad at me. I again shrugged it off, but I was getting genuinely concerned about why she was mad. A few minutes into our meal, Hiyori finished hers and left the campfire. This is when I was really concerned.

"She's mad at you ya know." Itsuki said, breaking my train of thought.

"Huh?, what for?"

"She was worried about you man. When the doctors were tending to your wounds, she told me that she was worried. Seeing you cough blood up and having a wooden planks inside your stomach doesn't leave a person feeling happy ya know?"

"Well obviously."I said sarcastically.

"Anyways. That's why she's like that. If I were you, I'd tell her something."he told me.

"Like what?" I asked.

"I don't know man, she mad at you not me."

I thought about if for a second. It was my best bet to make amends. And besides having a teammate not communicate with you could be troublesome in the future.
.
.
.
"Look Kiyoshi, we may have known each other for a day. But believe me when I say that we'd do anything in our power to make sure you stay alive. And vice versa...hopefully. After we are friends." He said.
.
.
.
Friends
.
.
.
Friends
.
.
.
I turned to him and showed him an expression that even he found to be weird and gross. I smiled, although it was a small smile.
.
.
.

"Yeah...we're friends." I replied.

"Well anyways, in going to get some sleep now. Just make sure to apologize or whatever. Okay?"

"I will."

"Hiyori?" I said as I peeked around a bush. There she was, sitting underneath a tree, looking up at the starry night sky.

"I've found you."

She looked at me but didn't say anything. I made my way over to her, but as soon as I got close to her, she got up and left. I was getting annoyed at this point, so I grabbed her wrist and stopped her from leaving. I looked dead I her eyes. Man she had really beautiful eyes.

"I'm sorry for making you worry. I'm sorry for what I've put you through. I'm sorry. Please forgive me." Bowing my head down in the process. I waited for a response but after several seconds of silence, I looked up and saw her in tears. It was only natural that she was like this. The thought of losing some dear is dreadful...I know all too well.

She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a tight hug. Still adjusting to this type of thing and being very uncomfortable, I tried to get out of it, but see wouldn't budge. She pinned me against the tree and trapped me there. After realizing that there's no escape, I gave up. I dropped down to the dirt and grass before leaning my back on the tree.

"What's wrong with you? How can you be so reckless. Huh? She said.
.
.
.
"I'm sorry."
.
.
.
"Seeing you cough up blood made me worry. Seeing a wooden plank stuck inside you abdomen made me worry. Seeing you lose blood made me worry. I thought...I thought I was going to lose you."
.
.
.
"I'm sorry." I said. She looked up at me and stared into my eyes. The feeling of before returned.

"Promise me you won't be so reckless next time? Promise me that you'll take better care of yourself? Promise me that you won't die."
.
.
.
"I promise."

As she looked up at me, she smile a small smile and hugged me tighter. She put her head on my chest and stayed there. As if my body moved on it's own, I wrapped my arms around her. I looked up to the stars. In just one day, my life was drastically beginning to change. I felt glad it did. Maybe this was a sign of good things coming my way.
.
.
.
"Hey Kiyoshi." Hiyori said.
.
.
.
"Yeah?"
.
.
.
"Can we stay like this a little longer?"
.
.
.
"Yeah."
.
.
.
That night we fell asleep in each other's arms.
.
.
.
In the morning however, things weren't so great as Itsuki found me and Hiyori sleeping like that and out of pure embarrassment had to tell him that it was all a big misunderstanding.