14

[Disclaimer: The names of our two companions have changed]
.
.
.
"If I were a demon, where would I be?"asked a still sleepy Itsuki.

"Probably hiding somewhere. I doubt it'll show itself that easily."replied Hiyori.

She was right. It won't show itself that easily. We have to be on our toes for anything that might seem off.

"I'll go on ahead and look out for anything suspicious." Haru exclaimed.

"Okay. Let us know if you find anything." I said. He nodded and ran away, leaving me and Hiyori alone. It had been almost an hour since our talk. To be honest, I still wasn't ready to talk to her alone.

"Looks like it's just us two now."she said.

"Yeah, I guess it is."

We continued to walk down every path and road, trying to find this thing. We eventually ended up back at the town market. Even around this time, it was still pretty packed. We pushed and shoved our way through the crowd while simultaneously trying to find this thing.

"Kiyoshi!"

I looked back and saw Hiyori getting consumed by the crowd. I went back to get her, but I was having trouble. Finally I reached her and grabbed her hand. Yes it was embarrassing but it was the only way of us staying together and not getting separated again. She didn't say anything but I could tell she was just as embarrassed as I was. We finally made out of the crowd and saw Itsuki waiting for us.

"What's this?" He asked

"What's what?"

It suddenly hit me that I was still holding Hiyori's hand. I quickly let go and explained the situation.

"Its not like that. She was getting shoved around and so I thought..."

"Relax, I know. Come on let's go." He said before abruptly going on ahead. Hiyori and I looked at each and shrugged our shoulders. We continued walking around the town market, seeing if this demon would appear. Suddenly I got a bad feeling. I was sensing something wrong. I stopped dead in my tracks, trying to figure out what it was.

"What is it Kiyoshi?" Hiyori asked.

"Something...seems off."

"Oh yeah, how so?" Itsuki said.

"It's....Above us!"

I said as all three of us moved out the way. A muscular figure came crashing down and created a cloud of dust. As the dust settled, we finally found it. The demon. The townsfolk looked on in horror and started panicking. Chaos ensued and shit was about to get ugly.

"Itsuki, evacuate the area immediately, I'll get its attention as you get everyone to safety." I yelled.

"Are you crazy! Are you nothing looking at what we have to deal with!"

He was right. Apart from being intimating and muscular, it was very tall as well. Could I even stand on par with it? It didn't matter at point, I knew what I signed myself up for.

"It doesn't matter now. Just get everyone away from here."

"Kiyoshi please!" Hiyori pleaded.

"We're demon slayers, our jobs is to eliminate demons, am I wrong?" I asked.

"Yeah you're right but-" I cut Hiyori off. Now is not the time to argue.

"Then hurry and get them out of here. Quickly." I commanded as I got my blade ready.

"But Kiyoshi?"

"GO!"

Hiyori looked at Itsuki and nodded. They couldn't argue with me, even if they tried. The safety of the people is far more important than me. The livelihood of these people, the happiness of these children were more important than my own life. I didn't want them to go through the same fate I went through.