Competing with Boys (19)

Hey, another upload :) sadly, this is the last chapter, the epilogue will be in the next part. i know I said i'd have a couple more chaps but i thought about it and i really want to get this done before new year so i could start the year fresh with a new story... the new story? the very last book to this series... so yes, there will be a sequel, but again, it will be the last of the whole series itself. i didn't want to drag the story but some wanted a sequel so i made a compromise. i actually already started the first chap of the story but i havent thought of a name for the main character yet.. i will let you choose between the 2 names i have mind... both mean either forever or always:

1) Ever

2)Erica

So pick one please and enjoy!

Competing with Boys 19

I love you

Kirsten’s POV

I was up in my room listening to the music. I actually wasn’t even listening to it. It was just turned on. I was looking at a picture of me and Mason. It was of us on a roller coaster. In the picture, I looked kind of terrified while he looked amused. There was horrified, open-mouthed look on my face while he was smiling. Also, I was clutching onto his arm for dear life.

I sighed. What happened to that? Was all the time he spent with me a lie? Part of a plan?

The thought made me upset. Not really at Mason, but at myself for being so stupid an letting myself fall for him.

Yeah, I fell for Mason. He was such a sweet, caring character that made me comfortable. It made me sick to the stomach that it may have been all a lie.

Deep down, I wished that it meant something more to him. That maybe, just maybe, I had changed him the same way he had changed me. Because, in truth, he did change me. I haven’t been so happy before he came into my life.

At the thought of us and the past, I felt a wetness roll down my cheek. I can’t believe I was crying about this. I should’ve expected this. After all, it was just a game. A competition to prove that one gender was better than the other. So they came up with a plan. It was allowed. So why do I feel so horrible?

I rolled over on the bed and buried my face into the pillow, crying my eyes out. It had been the first time since I found out about the plan that I cried. As much as I’d hate to say, maybe boys were better than girls. If they had such power to affect us like this. I wiped my eyes and sighed, and beat my head against the pillow.

Why can’t I forget? It’s just a boy!

But really, he wasn’t just a boy to me. He was a special boy. Someone that brought a smile onto my face.

A sound of a knock on my door snapped me out of my thoughts. I wiped my eyes as best as I can and called them in. It was my mom.

“You okay, Kirsten?” she asked. I looked behind her and saw my dad. Not Jace.

“Not really,” I admitted, my voice cracking. My mom looked at my dad and nodded him away. Once he left, she closed the door and walked over.

“Honey, you’ll be okay,” she said in a soothing voice. I looked at her through my tears.

“Do you really believe that?” I asked. She smiled slightly and nodded.

“I know boys can be terrible,” she said. “I was best friends with them.”

“He hurt me,” I said.

“And I was hurt, babe. It’s just that I learned to move on and be with the person I love,” she said.

“I hate him,” I hissed. She flinched.

“And I hated your father. But look at us today, we’re fine and raising 2 wonderful kids,” she said. I shook my head.

“But you fell in love with another person. The person I hate is the person I love,” I wailed.

“Kirsten, you’re a strong girl. I know you can get over the fact that he hurt you and maybe let him explain a few things,” she said. “I know you want to hear what he has to say.”

I shook my head. “Why should I listen?” I asked.

“Because he’s here to say a few things,” she said.

At that, Mason suddenly appeared in the doorway, looking completely guilty, which he should feel.

“I’ll leave you 2 alone,” my mom said and stood up to leave the room. Mason walked over slowly.

“Can I just explain?” he asked gently.

I nodded. He seemed relieved I didn’t push him away.

“Look, I heard part of your conversation,” he said. “Why are you upset because of me?”

I looked at him. Was he seriously asking me this?”

“You don’t know?” I asked him. He shook his head.

“Won’t you tell me?” he asked.

“Us getting close was apart of a plan,” I spat. “You never genuinely cared about me.”

He paled. “How do you know?”

“I heard, Mason. I heard you talk about me to the guys,” I said.

He sighed. “That was just guy talk, Kirsten.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I admitted how I felt about you to the guys today,” he said. “I quit the competition.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because I was tired of having to be against you,” he said. “I really like you, Kirsten and everything that happened, even if it was part of the plan to get closer to you, was real. My feelings are real.”

He looked completely serious. Which made my heart beat just that much faster. But it didn’t change the fact the he hurt me.

“You still hurt me,” I said, my eyes watering. He nodded.

“I know, and I hate myself for that. Can you forgive me?” he asked. “I want to start fresh.”

I stared at him, and he stared back. Suddenly, a smile appeared on his face. The faintest of smiles, but a smile nonetheless.

“Hi, I’m Mason,” he said. His hand was out, inviting me to take it and forget the past and start fresh. To put the competition behind us. But can I do that? Can I forget the pain that he caused?

I stared at his hand that hadn’t backed down yet. I slowly looked at his eyes. They gleamed with a determination. But behind the confidence was fear. Fear I wouldn’t accept his apology. His eyes were also pleading.

I made my decision.

“I’m Kirsten.”

At that, a wide grin broke out on his face and he roughly pulled my to him, hugging me tightly. He held onto me for dear life. As if I’d let go or something. I hugged him back with the same power.

“I’m so sorry,” he murmured into my hair. I smiled.

“I love you,” I blurted before I could stop myself.

Horrified, I pulled back. I was afraid of what his reaction would be. What I wasn’t expecting was a smile. He came closer to me and pecked my lips, which sent me soaring.

“Love you too,” he said, and his lips met mine.

*I've moved slightly up on the list :)

keep up with the support thanks!

Vote.Comment.Fan.*