Chapter 2

Cameron

I see the disappointment etched across my brothers' faces when I mention Ella will be our charge.

The moment she stepped out of the car all three of us took a collective intake of breath. She was gorgeous. We all broke formation at the same time.. me to introduce myself to her guardian and my brothers to help her family unload. I heard a few chuckles from the other guards who remained behind, waiting for females to arrive. All week we will be unloading cars and lugging belongings up flights of stairs.

I introduced myself to Carter who must be a brother or family relative because he's too young to have fathered Ella. He informs me he's an officer and he grills me about the security in the building and protocols. I like him immediately.

Ella walks over to introduce herself and I'm overtaken with her beauty. The first thing I notice are the bright green eyes searing a hole through my soul. Then the full pink lips on her flawless face. Her hair is long reaching to the middle of her back and it's a rich chocolate color. It's straight and thick and looks soft. I want to touch it. She's very tiny. Carter and I tower over her. She's petite, but I can make out curves under her athletic wear. She speaks with confidence and she shakes my hand with manners and a firm grip.

When we walk over to start unloading my brothers are already embarrassed by the family's joking. It's refreshing, they are funny and seem really close. I see the family resemblance in the women and I assume they are sisters.

Ella is smiling to them as she tells Oliver not to worry about whatever he just broke in her box. I'm trying so hard not to laugh because he is turning a bright shade of red and will probably never forgive himself for injuring one of her precious items. He looks crest fallen to hear she will be in our building and Dallas won't make eye contact with me. We start to grab her items and between the seven of us we get everything in one trip. We leave them to start unpacking and Oliver sulks the entire way back to the front of the building.

Dallas and I have been working security for a few years now, but this is Oliver's first year and our first year at the university. We were lucky to be hired here, as the entrance camp was really competitive. It helped we were young, fit and willing to abide by all of the requests the company made... even the uncomfortable ones.

We lived in the same group home together and consider each other brothers. It was a home sanctioned for orphaned males. I was left there at 10 by social services after my Grandma who was caring for me passed on. I don't remember my parents, Grams said they weren't fit to care for me so she took me in. She said my Dad passed of a drug overdose soon after I was born and she never heard from my Mom again. I've tried looking for her a couple times with no luck.

The home wasn't so bad. We were cared for by other males who didn't have families and we were kept very busy with sports and fitness. It was a natural step for us to go into security because we had been working on self defense for years. All the males were close and cared for one another. We still see the kids at the home all the time and the men who cared for us became our mentors and now friends.

Dallas was sent there as a baby, he doesn't remember a time before the group home. He was declared sterile during puberty and he's always wondered if his birth parents found that out abandoned him. Being born sterile is a common occurrence in males and females because of the virus that targeted female reproductive systems over a century ago. It's likely there was a female relative in Dallas' past that contracted the virus and it mutated as it passed down generations.. until he was the unlucky recipient of the sterile genes.

Dallas is quiet and reserved. He is a care taker and spent most of his days caring for other children at the house. He is a giant ass man and it terrifies the hell out of some people, but he's good dude and only reacts when he's provoked. He is a defender and is always protecting the weak. He is very protective of females and would be a great addition to any network. I pray we find a female who will over look his inability to father a child and appreciate him for everything else he has to offer.

Oliver is the youngest of us, only 18, where I'm 23 and Dallas is 25. He was dropped off at the group home at 15 after living in an abusive situation with his Dad. His Mom had a large network, but after she passed away in a car accident the network dissolved and each man took his sired children. Oliver said the group home was a five star hotel compared to the dump he lived in with his Dad. Oliver is a goof ball and the life of every party. The kids at the home flocked to him because he was so much fun. His younger years were spent in a large family and I know he wants that again one day. He is so eager to find his female it's laughable.

We found the security company's posting six months ago and it seemed like a good fit so we applied and went through the boot camp. We didn't have high hopes as there were dozens of men applying for the same positions we were. The pay is more then I could have expected and they provide room and board. We were so excited to find out they wanted us we agreed to a 5 year contract and all else they asked from us.

We were having dinner together to celebrate after getting the news we were hired and decided that after the five years was up we would search for a network together. Individually we don't stand strong chances, but together we could be appealing to a female. We don't have families or companies to take over from our fathers, but we work hard and would be loyal companions. We could be great protectors for the network and we plan to have a substantial savings to bring into the relationship. We are saving our bodies for our network as well so that could provide incentive for a women to want us.

The disappointment that crossed my brothers' faces just reminds me of the position we're in. We would be lucky to find a female, but we would never be considered by one like Ella. The moment Carter told me she was in the law program I knew we wouldn't have a chance. She's beautiful and will be very successful, she can have anyone she wants in her network and it will most likely be males from this school who are similar in societal standing. It's against every rule we have to court a student so we would have never stepped out of line, but our combined reaction to her was surprising.

I remind my brothers we are here to work and we need to stay focused on our long terms goals. I remind them we will see pretty girls every day and our job is to protect them so we need to stay aware without distractions.. even though I found myself very distracted by a very pretty Ella.