Chapter 11

Dallas

I see the moment her stance changes. I see the resolve flitter across her face as she stands up straight and gives us a professional 'fuck you.' It was after I spoke. I was trying to ease the hurt I saw creeping into her beautiful face, why was it my comment that caused that reaction from her? What the fuck just happened?

"What the fuck just happened?" Cameron asks. I swear sometimes it feels like we split a brain.

"I'm pretty sure that was the most professional fuck off I've ever received." I respond back. I look to Oliver who isn't speaking. He sits on his bed with his back to the wall. He looks upset, nervous, angry. There are so many emotions crossing his face I can't tell what he's thinking.

"Oliver?" I prompt.

"You made me do that. I listened to you and you made me say that shit and put that look on her face!" He's screaming as he gets up and gets in Cameron's face. They are the same height and while Cameron has more muscle, Oliver is quicker. I'm not sure who would win this fight.

"No, you take responsiblity for your own actions. You said that shit of your own free will Oliver. You agreed with us that space was best so you didn't fuck up a good thing before it started." I pull him back from Cameron.

"But now I'll never have it! My chance at a family just walked out of the fucking door in tears!" He loses his fight and collapses to his bed. He rolls to face the wall.

"We will fix it Oliver. We will help you fix it I promise." Cameron puts his hand on Oliver's shoulder and Oliver shrugs it off.

Cameron looks to me and I can't find the energy to respond. Oliver's right. I think we made a mistake.We come from nothing and we have nothing, what the fuck would we really be giving up to have everything with her? Some shitty job that doesn't even value our basic rights as males? The money is good, but it's not good enough to sacrifice a chance with Ella, no amount of money would be.

Ella still has two years left of school and we have savings built up. We could find new jobs and work hard to make sure we were ready to support her when she graduates. I keep saying we, but what if she only wants Oliver? Who am I joking I don't stand a chance. There are times I forget I'm sterile. Ella is young and beautiful, she would make perfect babies and she deserves every chance to do that. She would never consider me.

I take a page from Ella's book and put on my professional mask. I can do this. I can do this for my brothers. They would both be great additions for a network and they would both be loyal to her. They could give her babies and future generations of sassy, gorgeous, opinionated lawyers. I'll help them in any way I can.

I have the group home. I can remain a part of those males lives and help raise them while my brothers build a life with Ella. At least I would get to see her from time to time and my brothers would have the one thing they deserve most in life, a family.

The days after our talk with Ella are painfully slow. She barely speaks to us. She's elegant and well put together, never a hair out of place. She has her head held high and looks every bit the mature female she's become in the last four years. She treats us kindly, but there is no heat there. It's cold and detached. She goes to class and returns, but spends less time with the females she usually sees frequently. She skips meals in favor of studying and hasn't gone on any outings so I know she doesn't have snacks or groceries.

That's how I find myself here.. At her door with bags of snack foods and drinks. She might not appreciate this gesture, but it's too late now. I knock. I have to wait a few moments and when she opens the door I forget why I came. She must have been working out. Her cheeks are flushed and her hair is in a messy pony tail with pieces falling out around her face. She's in a sports bra and very, very small shorts.

Everything about her is toned. Her cleavage is pushed high in her tight bra and I see the hint of a shiny belly ring sticking out from above her high waited tiny shorts. If I could get hard, I would be. I realize I still haven't spoken. I look up from my perusal of her body to find her watching me intently. She doesn't seem mad, just neutral and aloof.

"Hello Dallas. Can I help you?" Polite. So polite it's snarky. I love the sass. I shouldn't, but I really love it. I'm still staring, I should respond. I clear my throat.

"I brought you snacks. I haven't seen you leave too frequently to eat. Not that I'm watching.. well I am watching it's my job, but I mean I'm not watching in a creepy way." Que awkward ramble.

"Oh thank you, that was a very thoughtful gesture. I assure you my dietary needs are being met." She smiles and there's a hint of teasing in it. She's teasing me. I feel a hint of relief.

"I know you've been really busy with your work so just wanted to check in and you know, bring you snacks."
I smile and I'm not sure what else to do, this feels awkward now because she's so polite. I got used to sweet Ella who held my hand and called me handsome. I want that back.

"I was actually going to message you and Cameron in a bit, I had a favor to ask. Well actually it might not matter now since things are different between us, but I just wanted to make sure." She looks uncomfortable and I'm worried about the favor she's going to ask.

"I have a friend coming over and he will be here for a couple hours. So if you guys could keep Oliver away from the fire panels that would be great." She said he.

"He?" I know I heart it correctly.. but just to be sure.

"Yes, he. That's why I asked for extra eyes on Oliver. He's a flighty one so I figured it would take both of you." She giggles.

"A date?"

"Yes?" She says it more like a question so I'm not sure. She continues,

"Sorry this is weird right? I just figured it would be best if I was honest about it instead of you guys just seeing him when he arrived. That didn't go so well last time." She smiles at me, most likely remembering the only other time she had a male over and we ruined her night. Even Cameron helped.

"He is a date, yes. He's a really nice guy a friend introduced me too and we've been vidchatting."

"Why isn't he taking you out to dinner then? That would be more appropriate for a new suitor then coming to your room. Was that his idea?" I'm getting annoyed now. He should be courting her and spoiling her if he's interested, not slinking into her room.

"Ahh uhh well I mean it's not that kind of date if you know what I mean?" She's blushing. Why is she blushing? Oh god is she saying what I think she's saying? There is no way she has a booty call coming over, no fucking way.

"What?" I think my voice is 10 octaves higher then usual.

"I'm sorry this is weird I shouldn't have told you that." She sighs.

"Honestly it's none of your business. You three made things very clear and I absolutely respect your decision, but you now need to respect mine. I am a casual sex kind of girl. I thought for a while that maybe you and I and Oliver.. and maybe even Cameron had some kind of connection, but I realize I was mistaken. I respected that connection we had, so I didn't have males over. Things are different now and you guys have made your intentions clear so I'd like to move forward and move on. No hard feelings we can definitely be friends."

She puts her hand out to shake mine. I shake her hand and she reaches for the groceries and quickly takes them out of my other hand. I am not sure what to say to that and I'm still formulating a response when her door slams in my face. Well that's not gonna work for me.

I pick up my radio and turn it to the frequency reserved for my brothers.
"10-33 Ella's room."

I wait.

I hear them before I see them. There are boots pounding up the stairwell and the door slams open and bounces off of the wall. Oliver is rounding the corner and slides, almost skidding to the ground, but recovers. Cameron is not as graceful and fumbles into the wall. By the time they reach me they are panting and I have to step in front of Oliver before he barrels through her door. He bounces off of my chest and onto the ground. Ella chooses that moment to open the door.