Chapter Eighteen

I froze when I heard Malik's voice behind me. And not only the fact that he was my mate but 70 hours?

"You're here?" I looked at him. He folded his arms across his chest, causing his muscles to bulge out. I gulped.

"And why wouldn't I be?" Of course. Stupid Iris, it's his child, after all.

I nodded and looked back at the whimpering wolf in front of me. If the doctors were going to undermine me and not help, I would have to do this the hard way.

"Okay?" I raised my brow in question.

"Esme" she breathed. Understanding what I wanted.

"Esme, I don't want you to have a scar on your pretty belly, so you're gonna have to push for me."

"What? The baby is coming now? But I'm not ready."

"It doesn't matter. Whatever you had in your womb that was draining you is now in there with the child. Lucky for you, you've got a fighter in there. The baby wants out. Even if you hadn't gone into labour, I would have taken it out either way. So, push."

She nodded and pushed. It was hard. Even though I will admit she was really a powerful wolf. She really wanted to save the baby. Malik went and brought the doctors, but before they came back, the baby was already in my arms. It was a beautiful girl. She looked just like her mother. The few strands of blonde stuck to her wet body. Esme had passed out on the bed.

"She's not crying." I looked up to see the nurse that shoved me out when they were operating on Aria.

"She needs an incubator, she's a strong pup, but she is still pretty immature," the doctor said from behind her. Prompting the nurse forward to collect the little pup. I handed the baby to her. And went to wash my hands, I needed to scrub the west away. I don't even think this would do a shower should suffice. This was really weird shit. The placenta was black and mutated. That was probably what was eating up the mother. Sick trick Lily, but Lily couldn't have done this. She did mention Polly. Damn those bitches.

"You can go home now," the doctor said as I stepped out of the bathroom. "We've stabilized both mother and pup." I nodded and headed out of the hospital.

Leonard was waiting for me outside. "Luna" he pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on. "Let me guess, he sent you here to babysit?" He gasped and touched his chest. "More like a bodyguard. I am the Gamma, after all."

"Same thing." I rolled my eyes. He scoffed. We walked away from the pack hospital in silence. "That was pretty amazing," He said after a while. I turned to look at him.

"What was?" I asked.

"What you did for Esme," He added and I smiled.

"Why thank you, Leonard."

"Can I ask a favour?" I looked at him again, but warier this time.

"My mate, she's pregnant. We just found out yesterday."

I laughed. They just keep coming, huh? "Wow, congratulations!" I know how that sounded, but I am still genuinely happy for him. It was just a stressful day a stressful couple of days and I was done with babies for at least a few weeks.

"Thanks, but the thing is that I'm really freaking out. My mother died giving birth to me. And my dad broke afterwards. I never really liked children or even wanted them. But Leila, she's really excited and I have to be too." He stopped walking and kind of compelled me to do so as well.

"If you're here, I don't think I'll worry about her, please can you help?"

Is this some sick joke? Dude, I'm leaving today.