Chapter thirty-three

The battle was long and strength far spent. The eye on the right side of my face was no longer there, and black clumpy blood replaced the sightless ball, leaving a dried trail down my face. Even with the subtle use of magic, it was tough. No hate or malice radiating from any wolf anymore, yet they wouldn't give in. Injuries far worse but less fatal than mine had been acquired, yet they fought still. A lot of them had spent all their energy and left consciousness while the rest, just a few, still desired to pry out my will and desire. The sun which had revealed itself at its truest form and was now retreating with its energy and light. With its energy depleting, my fight reduced. It was obvious that this had gone on way longer than anyone wished or expected. My strength was soon gone but magic sizzling and burning within me, I had been chaste in use, barely letting any free. Only using the extra advantage run free only when I was completely helpless. Now, with no stamina, I was certain the use of it would destroy my body.

"Give up already," one of the few remaining wolves snarled at me. I shook my head, struggling to stand. My body was hot and heavy, and I wouldn't give up. I was too close and suddenly realizing while I was a witch, my magic was way too powerful for the massive, powerful wolves before me. My wolf felt proud and at home for the first time in forever. That soothed me. Even without hearing his voice in my head, I could hear his sound. The rumbling of water, the crackling of lightning, the violence of the wind. I hadn't heard again since the first time we met, but it found me. It wrapped around me and fueled my desire to win.

As soon I found myself wishing selfish things, no longer wanting the Luna position for safety, or for more power. Not for the security I desired from my mother or my mind. Not because I started to feel strongly for even the wolves that desired to kill me even now. But because I came to the realization now that all I wanted to do was to be by his side. With his song roaring in my ear and his scent, though faint, fueling up my resistance. He couldn't speak, but he was still here. This was equivalent to him fighting with me.

I felt a powerful emotion towards Malik for the first time in my life at this very moment. The overpowering sensation filled me to the brim. Suddenly, my wolf was in control. For the first time, my magic sizzled out, and I felt truly free. I was a werewolf at this moment. I truly realized how freeing the entirety of it felt. At first, it scared me that I would break the rules more than I already was, but impulsively my consciousness became my subconscious and my wolf overcame my mind, but not my body. Not I fighting or guiding, but my wolf leading in a ferocious dance. My body tumbled and twisted, Malik's sound providing an invincible safety net. This was a communication between two souls, between two wolves free from human inhibitions and logic. This was communication between mates. The wolves were in sync with Malik's leading and mine following. It filled me with so much shock and frustration, but I was happy. And within such little time, I was victorious. Standing in the midst of unconscious wolves. At that moment, I let out a loud growl and howl, and an even louder roar tore and rumbled from across the pack, so distant but all the same clear as day.

The song filled every opening in my head, nose, mouth, and ear, rippling and soothing. My canines descended and in an instant, I had left the despondent cave, moving with absolute desperation. My eyes were still a deep haze of purple. As I stood before the entire pack, fueled with adrenaline and my body could not support any further movement on its own, my wolf demanded what was belonging to her. The wolves outside didn't put up any fight as they sensed the raw strength and new ferocity oozing from my recently awakened wolf. They howled in response, falling to their knees, barring their necks in submission.

I stood tall and proud in the center of it all. Taking in the respect I had so recently come to crave. I heard a loud thud. It shook the ground under my feet, but with the way his song grew stronger and the scent filled my nostrils, making me feel quite dizzy. It filled my wolf with delight. She craved acknowledgment; I craved acknowledgment. When our eyes met, his electric blue with my dim purple his steps slowed and he came towards me with slow determination. Every fiber of my being reacted to the proximity decreasing, the predatory stance, the overwhelming strength, his more than heady scent, and the song that became even louder. It screamed at me, and when he came to stand before me, I felt overwhelmed. It was absolutely exhilarating. I've never felt so strongly for him before, or anyone, even.