Chapter Twenty-two

"Iris, what is the plan?" Aria whispered to me as we walked back to where the cars were.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, last time I saw you alive and breathing," she teased. "You were vehement on not being with Alpha Malik. Now we are just going back?"

The question I was trying to avoid. The entire thought, actually. I was silent, as looked up at his back, his muscular back. The way his muscles flexed and how good his butt looked in those jeans. I gulped. He could probably hear this conversation, right?

"I mean, I would love it if you accepted the fate the moon goddess has given you. She always knows best. You don't want to fight the moon. Your mate isn't perfect, but neither are you. But I can certainly see that he loves you." Aria's voice sounded distant to me. Like she was far away even when our arms were intertwined.

What do I want? I am scared, never actually thought of this. The only thing I could think of since I met Malik was how to get away from him. Now I was marked and linked to him. I couldn't run away. He wouldn't let me. So what does that mean? The Moon Goddess said I should let myself be happy. Is this going to bring me happiness? Mother always said love makes you weak, which is why we witches didn't have mates, well all except me. Add that to all the reasons I was different, and why I was discriminated against (not that anyone knew at the time). I can't let anyone get hurt because of my curse. I won't be able to live through that.

"Iris you're riding with me," Malik shouted from the side of a black jeep, pulling me from my thoughts. I walked to him and he held out his hands to help me in. I swatted it away.

"I'm a big girl. I can do it myself." He shook his head and opened my door. After I stepped in, he walked to the driver's side and got in. I put on my seat belts and he started the car and drove out the borders of the silver moon pack, or whatever the name of the pack was. I want nothing more than to never come back here again.

At first, there was so much silence it was so awkward. I could tell he wanted to tell me something, but he didn't say it.

I shifted in my seat, looking straight ahead. My palms were wet, so I put them flat on my thighs, moving them up and down my pants to dry them.

"Stop doing that," his voice was low but very commanding. "It's distracting," he muttered.

I smiled. "What? Am I affecting you?"

"Don't act like am the only one feeling this pull, this frustrating want, this bond." His knuckle tightened around the steering.

"Me?" I touched my chest. "No, no," I shook my head.

"Oh?" He smiled. The car slowed down until we stopped.

"Why are you stopping? In the middle of nowhere?" I asked. He turned to look at me. His eyes were getting brighter. Honestly, I didn't understand how he was so different. Normal wolves' eyes get darker at their beasts approaching. His got brighter.

"Maybe because the beast in me isn't my wolf," he replied. I shivered. That sounded so sexual, well, to me. Because my stupid body reacted.

He took off his seat belt and turned to me. I retreated until my back was touching the door. "Stay back!" I held my hands in front of my face.

"Why? I don't affect you," he smiled. Son of a bitch! "You don't feel anything when I do this." his hand settled on my knees, then his fingers pushed his palm up. He started walking with his index and middle fingers on my laps up to my thighs. My breathing stopped, and my gaze settled on his approaching hand. It felt as if fire burnt where he touched. Only this fire made me want to throw myself into his arms.