Chapter Twenty eight

"What do you mean, he is your mate? Who is your mate?" I asked Aria, desperately hoping that I had misheard, but what are the odds?

"Exactly that!" She snapped at me. "The man walking beside the Alpha." Okay, a bit aggressive if you ask me. It had to be her wolf. Oh gosh, that bitch honestly, Aria needed to keep her under reins. But I'm one to talk.

"Then... if he's your mate, why would he just walk away?" I asked not to anyone in particular.

Aria stomped off, shouting that I shouldn't follow her. I knew she went to let her wolf out. So I walked into the hospital at a beautiful time when the doctor allowed Absalom to get his blond pup. I walked in when Malik was holding her. My chest tightened and immediately this desire to see him holding one that came from both of us hit me so strongly I thought I hold swoon. He sensed me at once, looking up from the pup to me. I swear I didn't know why, but tears came to my eyes. I quickly blinked them away and gave him a small smile. He handed the baby back to Absalom, who was more than happy to hold his pup. It was beautiful, actually, but Aria's devastated face popped into my eyes and I knew I had messed up. How could I lie to her? And for so long? How do I even apologize? I was a horrible friend. I knew everything about her, despite being the mouth of the group, when it was just both of us. She did most of the talking.

As if Malik sensed my distress, he immediately walked over to me and drew me closer to himself.

"I'm sure Aria just needs some time," he said to me, resting his chin on my head. I sighed.

"How many times have I told you to stay out of my head?"

"Not nearly enough," he replied. "Besides, you could always block me out, but you never do. Wanna know why?"

"Because I don't know how?"

"Oh please, it's nothing my little witch can't figure out, and that's by the way. You don't want to."

"Why the hell wouldn't I want to? I like my privacy." I scoffed.

"No, you like to me knowing what's going on, especially when you need comfort or scolding."

What?

"Huh?" I pushed away from his hug. "No, I don't! Why would I want that?" I looked up into his deep blue pools.

"Iris, I am the first wolf. I can sense a billion times better than the average wolf. I know even what your brain doesn't want to."

"Does that even make sense to you?"

"I know how it sounds."

"Do you? Really, do you?"

"Look, I knew that you were terrified of what I and the entire pack would do if we found out the truth about you, so I told them for you. I pushed you to show them who you really are. To stop your hiding."

"And that helps me how?!" I yelled.

"Do you mind?" Absalom called out from behind us.

"Sorry," I whispered immediately.

"We'll give you some privacy." Malik held my forearm, which I ripped out from his hand.

He grabbed me again and spun me to face him. My hair whipped around both of us as I turned.

"Can you just let me explain?" I eyed him and sat down on one of the hospital benches.

"Look, Iris, I know exactly how you feel each time. That night I knew that you didn't want to let yourself get close to me because you didn't want anyone hurting me or the pack because you believed you brought bad luck. I was just trying to make you see that we wouldn't care less if you were a witch because the moon goddess makes no mistakes. You're my mate and I love you regardless, you and your magic and your curse of doom." He whispered, reaching for my hands.