Chapter 2

It was my fifteenth birthday and we were having a small party at our house. A home-baked cake with a few junk food.

We were snacking when it was time for the presents. My sister, looking as pretty as ever, was wearing a midnight blue gown. Her warm brown eyes were playful. Her milky white complexion-same as mine-had a glow and her lush blonde hair hung around her shoulders.

I looked pretty decent myself. Saying that I was a fierce tomboy and all, I wanted to wear a tank top and some shorts but wanted to change a bit. I was wearing a white blouse with a baby pink skirt. My caramel hair was tied in a braid which fell over my shoulder as my sea blue eyes danced for joy.

She came up with a tiny wrapped box, gnashing her teeth in excitement while her braces showed. She opened it and inside was a beautiful pendant strapped on a chain. The pendant had three colours, red, dark blue and yellow. They were diamonds which were studded. 

She claimed that she had saved up to buy this for me. I felt touched and hugged her. She put it around my neck and pointed at each colour one by one.

"Ruby, Sapphire and Amber."

Her voice still echoed in my mind as sweet as honey. The three diamond names chimed back like a replay.

Never did I knew that it was my last birthday with Stella.

That gift was the only memory I had of her and will always look at when I am lonely. The science of her death was atrocious.

It was school dismissal and I was waiting outside the car, tapping my foot impatiently. Come on Stella, I urged in my mind. I decided to go back to school to look for her. Maybe at the back of the school where the garden was.

I was pretty sure she wouldn't be in the small vacant building. The Principal had warned us not to go there. Of course, students sneaked there all the time. To discuss secrets or share juicy gossip. It was a secluded place. And besides, Stella would never break rules.

I looked down and saw red liquid coming from under the door. I calmed myself that it could be just some juice spilt but there was no harm checking in there anyway. I opened the door and it creaked. Thump. Something fell down. I went to the other side to check what had fallen. It wasn't something. It was someone.

Someone called Stella.