Chapter 4

"Round three!"

The booming voice started me. I flinched and banged my head to my Mom's. She rubbed her head and flashed me a grin. She continued watching the reality show of these horrible obstacles that people had to overcome. I looked at her belly.

No bump. Nothing. Nada. 

So this wasn't late news. She had just gotten pregnant. No surprise with later news. I looked at the box in front of me and I peeped curiously. 

Today we were having potato wedges with blueberry pie. Yum. Still, I crossed my fingers for enchiladas tomorrow. Looking at that food made me remember of my last birthday party with Stella and made me all sad.

"June, eat."

My Dad was sitting on the opposite sofa with his legs over and the box on top of his lap. That was unhealthy posture but I guessed parents also had to be kids some times.

I ate half of the food for my appetite had been ruined with my crazy memory. My Mom looked at me funny. I knew why. I didn't put ketchup on my blueberry pie. I know weird combo but hey, people eat peanut butter and salmon sandwiches so what is wrong? 

I pulled myself upstairs. It was a Saturday but to be honest, I was sleepy. Drowsy as if I had been injected with pain killers.

"Honey, wait."

I turned behind face to face with my knock-out Mom. She had the same pale complexion with sleek black hair and a fringe covering her eyes partially. It made her look like a doll. She had brown eyes like Stella and she was wearing her pyjamas. She looked gorgeous just the way she was. I wasn't exactly the fashionista type but I have always admired my Mom's beauty. I guess what Dad says is true: Mom is hot.

Anyway, she leaned towards me her face covered with small strands, she kissed my cheek. She smelled like cinnamon and nutmeg. Which was an aroma, not a stench.

"Don't worry. Stella will tale rebirth in the baby. You are still my baby. I don't care if you are sixteen years old."

I struck her a smile and held her gaze. Yes, I had a wonderful Mom indeed.