nine

Umbridge made herself a glass of pink tea

Umbridge made herself a glass of pink tea. Willa looked around the pink office, growing annoyed at the meows and purrs of the cats.

"You're going to be doing some lines for me, Miss Jackel," said Umbridge as she stood up to give her the quill.

Willa sat at a desk in the office and grabbed the quill.

"I want you to write: I must not howl."

Willa gripped them quill, looking over her shoulder at Umbridge. "Excuse me?"

"I must not howl," she repeated.

Willa clenched her jaw. "May I have some ink?"

"Oh - you won't need any ink."

Willa grabbed the paper on the desk and began writing 'I must not howl' over and over again. Umbridge simply listened to the sound of the quill scratching on paper.

Willa's left hand began to itch, then progressed into stings. She looked at her hand to see her own handwriting on her flesh. I must not howl.

Umbridge walked over in front of Willa. "Yes? I've noticed you've stopped writing."

She shook her head. "Nothing, Professor."

Umbridge leaned down. "Good girl, Miss Jackel. It's very unfortunate for you to be cursed, but some light punishment will do you good. Go on."

She continued writing for a few more lines before Umbridge excused her. Once Willa returned to the Gryffindor common room, George whisked her away into a corner to talk to her. She tried to hide her hand, but he noticed. He grabbed it and examined the bruising and blood.

"You've got to tell Dumbledore."

"No," she replied. "There are more things he should be worrying about. Plus, Umbridge is smart, as much as I hate to admit it. She holds great authority over this place. It'll make her furious if she finds out I snitched on her."

He rubbed his thumb over the bruises and words. "Does it hurt?"

"At first. Now it's numb."

He winced. "That doesn't sound too good."

She shrugged, patting his cheek with her other hand. "Thank you for caring, George. It means a lot." She kissed his cheek before leaving up to her dorm.