Prologue 1

Feather was kitting.
Her agonising yowls echoed through the eerie twolegplace alley, where Scourge's cats were walking around, chatting in the orange sunset light.
Scourge paced back and forth in between the tall metal trash cans, his ears twitching nervously. He flexed his long dog claws, watching them glint in the fiery light. His white paw was still caked with dry blood, reminding him of what happened today. He could still feel the satisfaction as his sharp claws slit through Tigerstar's dark tabby fur. He pictured the dark tabby's bloody body for the one-hundredth time, licking his lips. There was no way he'd ever forget the shocked looks on the clan cats faces when Tigerstar had dropped to the ground, dead. He chuckled quietly to himself. All this had happened while his mate Feather, had started to begin kitting. She must be proud of me, Scourge thought. Our kits will be the most feared cats of the twolegplace and the forest.
"Scourge! You've got kits!" Brick yowled from behind the cardboard box. "Two she-cats and a tom!"
Excitedly, the small black tom bounded over to where Feather was lying on the stiff cardboard, panting. Her blue eyes were almost closed with exhaustion. Scourge's icy eyes gleamed with pride. Beside dark grey she-cat three squirming furballs. Feather purred, watching them crawl toward her white belly.
"What should we name them?" Scourge murmured.
"I was thinking- the honey-coloured one should be Sun. And the russet tom..."
"Oh, look!" Scourge purred. "The silver tabby is like you- stubborn! She wants to be the first to drink milk!"
"Her name should be Willow," Feather nodded quietly. "And the tom is like a shrimp, just like you!" She ourredvv
Scourge purred loudly in return. Only Feather was allowed to point out that he was small. No-one else. He stared at the tiny red tom. "He'll grow big and strong."
"Let's name him Berry!" Feather said.
"Sun, Willow and Berry. Our lovely kits!" And for the first time after Scourge had run away, he felt like curling up against the warmth of a cat he loved and fall asleep, forgetting about a battles. But he knew he had an upcoming battle with the clans soon. He'd beat them once and for all. He jerked away from his kits.
"I have a battle to prepare for," he told Feather, his voice cold again. He would NOT let any cat soften him or quench his thirst for blood. Not even his kits.
"I'll see you after the battle."
"Promise me you'll be careful!" Feather called after him. "Promise me you'll come home safe!"
Scourge halted. It felt good to have someone care about him.

"I promise."