Chapter 1

Berry's POV

The wind hurtled out at the three shapes pushing through the tall grass like claws. It howled and screamed in Berry's ears, and he flattened them against his head. The wind wasn't strong. It wasn't even really bad. In fact, it was nothing compared to the wind back home. But Berry, Willow and Sun had been traveling for two moons, in hope of finding a new home. The old twolegplace and the forest of the clans were far, far away. WindClan, ThunderClan, ShadowClan and RiverClan were the clans who had destroyed BloodClan. Firestar, the leader of ThunderClan, had killed their father in his attempt to take over the forest. Sorrow and rage pierced Berry's heart. He had only met his father twice, and that was shortly after his birth. Scourge had been there. The second time was after his first night outside his mothers belly. He remembered his fathers small black body and his white paw. He remembered icy blue eyes looking down at him and his sisters. He also remembered Feather. The dark grey she-cat who had given them milk and cared for them for three moons in BloodClan. He remembered her most. But after Scourge was killed, she seemed to stop loving them. Although Berry knew she was grieving, Willow, Sun and him had felt lonely. After Feather died, too, they stayed in BloodClan for another three moons- until they were six moons old. That would've been the day they'd have been given their apprentice names. Feather had often told them about the clans, and Berry and his littermates knew everything about clan life. But shortly before Feather took her last breath, she had told them about her other litter of kits. She told them she had sent the two of them away; away from Scourge's thirst for blood. StarClan - yes, Feather was cat who believed in StarClan even though she was a rogue - had visited her and told her they had been accepted into a clan called CloudClan. They had never heard of the clan, so Feather explained that it was a clan far, far away.
Berry had wondered why she had never spoken of them before, but he knew better than to ask her.
"It looks like the wind will get worse," a voice broke through the thick silence. Neither of the three littermates had said anything since this morning, and they had traveled in silence until now. The voice belonged to Sun, Berry's sister. She was a light golden tabby with green eyes. Willow, his other sister, was a silver tabby with dark blue eyes. Berry himself was a red, thick-furred cat with green eyes.
"Should we shelter somewhere or keep going?" Sun spoke up again.
"We should keep going," Berry replied. A misty drizzle of rain was blown into his face. He was cold and tired, but he would not stop until he found this clan his brother and sister had joined many moons ago.
"Sshh!" Willow hissed. She halted, her silver for bristling. "I smell something!"
"Like rain and birch trees?" Sun rolled her eyes. But she stopped and looked around. Berry raised his head and tasted the air. Willow was right; there was a new scent hanging in the air. A scent they had smelled ever day, but were hardly familiar if anymore since they only had each other all these three moons.
It was the smell of cats.
Willow's eyes widened and she unsheathed her claws. She was a good fighter, but Berry was wiser when it came to picking fights.
"Hide!" He hissed. Willow darted behind a large bush. It was dotted with hundreds of purple, strong-smelling flowers. It would hide their scents for a while. Sun and Berry followed her, and they crouched down, eyes gasping through the tangle of branches, petals and leaves. Sure enough, the tall grass rustled and four cats emerged out. One was a white she-cat with blue eyes. She was followed by a large grey tom, a grey and white she-cat with bright blue eyes and a brown tabby tom with amber eyes.
Sun stiffened beside Berry as the grey and white she-cat hissed something into the white she-cat's ear.
"Frostcloud! Do you smell something?"
Frostcloud, the white she-cat, sniffed the air. Berry's heart pounded, but not because the cats might find him and the others. These cats had warrior names! Maybe this was the clan with his brother and sister! Sun glances at him with a knowing glance. Without thinking, Berry rose from the ground. Sun and Willow stood up too.
"What are you doing?" Willow hissed.
"Hey!" The light brown tabby exclaimed. "I heard something!"
Berry stalked out into the open, facing the four warriors.
"Who are you and what are you doing on CloudClan territory?" Frostcloud hissed.
CloudClan! Excitement and disbelief flooded through Berry. His heart pounded faster and he searched carefully for words.
"We're rogues from far away. We-we're looking for a new home." He stammered.
"Rogues, eh?" The large grey tom said, eyeing them suspiciously. "What are your names?"
"My name is Berry. These are my sisters, Willow and Sun."
"Where are you from? It's been a long time since we've seen any rogues 'round here." He asked, his amber gaze flicking from Beery to Sun and to Willow.
"We're from far away." Berry struggled to control his excitement. "We've been traveling for three moons."
"Yeah!" Willow added. "Our mother, Feather, died and-"
"Hang on!" The grey tom interrupted. "Did you say your mothers name was Feather?"
"Yes. Our father was Scourge, but he died after we were born."
"I-I-" The tom seemed stunned. "Y-You're really Feather's kits?"
The three cats nodded.
"So am I. I mean, I was. My name is Greystream."
"Really? So you must be one of the kits from her first litter! Feather told us about you! If you're our brother, who's our sister?"
"Her name is Nightfeather. She's back at camp."
"Wait, Greystream! Are young saying these cats are your littermates?" The grey and white she-cat asked.
"Yes, Willowfrost. These are my brothers and sisters." Greystream said. Willowfrost stared at them. "As you know, this is Willowfrost. Her sister is Frostcloud." He flicked his tail toward the two she-cats. "And this is Brackenpool." The tabby tom dipped his head.
"Come. You say you're looking for a new home?"