Chapter 8

I'm up before my sister. Solely because I want to get all the hot water before anyone else does. The morning had dawned bright and sunny. Perfect for the first day of school. First day for us at least. I take a 20 minute shower, the water feels amazing. By the time I'm turning off the taps, my sister is pacing impatiently, outside the door.
"Will you hurry up!" She exclaims angrily. I grab my robe, and throw it on. I open the door.
"Woah! What's up with you this morning?" I demand.
"Sorry. Just stressed, and tired, I guess." I figure the real reason is the Instagram situation, but I don't say anything. I still don't want her to know, that I know about it. She hurries into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Its so loud, it makes me jump. I shake off the jitters it gave me, and wrap my hair in a towel. Its a fair length, and its thick, so it usually takes awhile to dry. But Sam's is cut short, so she doesn't need to worry as much about hers. I get dried off, and dressed, leaving my hair in the towel. I'll deal with it later, once Sam's out of the bathroom. I use the time, while I'm waiting for Sam, to get my bag ready. I pack my pencil case, full to the brim with stuff, including the new pencils Sam got me. I also put in some binders, filled with various paper assortments, two notebooks, and my brand new, blue, calculator. I finish, and Sam's still not out of the bathroom, I look at the clock. Wow, still an hour before we have to leave. I really did get up early. I grab my ipad and open Instagram, sitting down on my bed. I don't follow a lot of people, so usually my feed's pretty empty. There's a few photos of my friends from my old home. I feel a quick flash of homesickness, but I try to ignore it. I like the photos, and then close the app. I don't bother to check my twitter, there's nothing interesting on there usually anyways. Besides, I have alerts on for all the important people, if you know what I mean. Just then Sam opens the door, she's dressed and ready to go. I jump up from my bed and head for the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I pull my makeup bag out from the cabinet under the sink. I put on what I want, and then put it away. I take longer than usual on my hair and makeup, since I am going out after school. It takes me forever to get this one knot out of my hair, but when I finally get it, I'm amazed at how nice it looks, normally I look terrible. People used to make fun of me actually, at my old school. But everyone's bullied right? Thankfully it had gotten better over the last couple of years, since I had made a lot more friends. I check the clock on the bathroom wall. Time to go! Ten minutes before we absolutely need to leave. I exit the bathroom and see Sam on her ipad, that instantly worries me. The last thing she needs is more hate to bug her on the first day of school. But it looks as if she's just writing her fanfic. I'm instantly relieved, I feel my heart rate begin to return to normal. I grab my phone and my backpack.
"Ready to go?" I ask her.
"Yep!" She says putting down her ipad. "Just let me grab my phone." She picks up her phone, and unplugs it. Also grabbing her bag off the floor by her bed. We run downstairs, only to realize, my mom's already in the car with Callum. I grab my lunch bag from the counter and dash to put my shoes on, Sam following suit. I'm out the door before her, which means she has to lock it. I jump in the passenger seat of the SUV. Sam climbs in the seat behind me. My mom starts the car and pulls out of the driveway. The ride feels longer then it actually is, probably because of nerves. However, we're soon there. I step out of the car. I'm here. I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself. I'm just about to walk through the front doors, when my phone buzzes. I pull it out of my pocket. But I forget I'm now standing in front of the door, so when the guy, who isn't looking, opens the door, I don't see it coming until it's too late. WHAM! I fall backwards landing on my side.
"Well that hurt...." I mumble. Thankfully it doesn't look like anyone else saw. The guy hurries up to me.
"I'm so sorry! I totally didn't see you there, my bad."
"It's ok." I say, as he helps me up. I dust my self off.
"I don't think I've seen you around here before. You new?"
"Yeah, this is my first day actually."
"Wow. Not a great way to start it off huh?" He asks sheepishly. I smile.
"Guess not."
"Tell you what, I'll take you to the office to get you ice, and you can sign in or whatever, and then I'll show you around. Sound cool?"
"Yeah, that'd be great actually." I answer shyly. I almost forget about my phone, but then, I see it lying on the ground a few feet away. I pick it up, the blue case I have saved it from any damage. I look to see who messaged me. Its from him.

J: Good luck at school 😝😊

K: thanks :) i g2g cu ltr 😉

I lock my phone and look back at the guy that hit me with the door.
"I don't know your name." I say.
"Oh right! Its Blake. I'm in grade 9."
"Same! And the name's Katie." I smile.
"Well Katie, after you." He motions for me to go through the door, thankfully this time he holds it for me instead of hitting me with it. I walk through, into the school. Here we go.