Chapter 23

Jace's POV (A/N: Trying something new!)

After the girls went to bed, us guys didn't talk much. I had never met Blake and Carter before today. They seem like cool guys, but it was still awkward.

I had let them choose where they wanted to sleep, I felt it was the least I could do. They had picked the couches, which was fine, cause I kind of wanted the mattress anyways.

I'm having a hard time going to sleep, so I'm quietly chilling, staring at my phone. Blake and Carter seem to already be asleep. That's not really surprising, since it's like 1 in the morning.

All of a sudden, I get an idea. I get up and walk over to the girls's bedroom door. I send Katie a text. A minute later, she appears at the door.
"What?" She whispers. She's braided her hair, and she's wearing pyjamas. She looks really cute actually.
"Come on." I hiss. I grab her arm and pull her up the stairs.
"Where are we going?" She asks me.
"Your room." I reply, grinning. She looks at me for a minute.
"Follow me." She says in a hushed tone. She creeps up the stairs, and I follow behind. We stop at one of the doors in the upstairs hallway. She pushes it open and walks in. I see her sit down on one of the beds. I sit next to her, and she leans her head onto my shoulder. I put my arm around her shoulders and we just sit there in comfortable silence for awhile.
"I missed seeing you all the time, these last years." She says. I smile.
"Honestly, I missed you too." I reply.
"Can I confess something?" She asks.
"Absolutely." I give her shoulders a squeeze. She sits up from leaning against me.
"I had a huge crush on you before you moved." She blushes and giggles, then looks down at her lap. I feel myself start to blush too.
"Katie?"
"Yeah?" She looks up at me, her face showing how nervous she is.
"I never stopped having a crush on you." I say. Her face breaks into a grin. She hugs me, and I hug her back. "I love you." I whisper in her ear.
"I love you too." She says. I hold her tight.

I pull away from the hug, and I kiss her on the cheek. She stares into my eyes. Her hazel eyes shine. She moves her face closer to mine, and our lips touch. It's one of best feelings ever. It lasts for a awhile, but we eventually pull away.

All of a sudden, in the silence of the night, we hear a door creak open. We both look at each other, with wide eyes, panicked. The door handle to Katie and Sam's room rattles. "Hide!" Katie whispers. She jumps off the bed and dives under it. I don't really know what to do. I run to a door I see against the wall. I open it and step, closing the door behind me. It appears to be a closet. A big one apparently. I sit down in the back corner, furthest away from the door.

I hear the room door open, and the light pattern change under the door, as someone's feet pass by.
"Hello?" I hear a man's voice say. Of course it's her dad. He walks around the room some more. I think he goes into the bathroom, but after seeing no one, he comes back out. He stops in front of the closet door. I can feel myself panicking. It would look really bad if he found me here, not knowing nothing about Katie and I. He stands on the other side of the closed door awhile longer, thankfully, after what feels like an eternity, he leaves the bedroom and closes the door behind him.

I creep out of the closet, and Katie appears from under the bed.
"That was close." She giggles softly. I smile and move closer to her. Before I know what I'm doing, I have my arms wrapped around her in a hug. She seems surprised, but she hugs me back and leans her head against me. I'm not much taller than her, maybe an inch, so she's bending quite a bit to lean on me. I'm not sure how comfortable it is for her, but for me it feels just right. Me holding her.

Eventually I whisper softly;
"We should probably go back downstairs, we've been gone awhile." She nods, and turns to the door. She motions me to be quiet. She pauses a minute before turning the handle. She checks to make sure the hallway is clear, before nodding that I can come through. I follow her back downstairs. She enters the basement first. Thankfully, Blake and Carter are still asleep. She hurries into the girls bedroom, and I plop onto my air mattress. I think I can sleep now, with some pretty sweet dreams, to say the least.