Chapter 10

I'm in the middle of doing a math problem, when I feel my phone start to vibrate in my pocket. Even though its on vibrate, you can still hear it buzz, in the near silent classroom. Lilian, who's sitting beside me, looks over at me pointedly. I mouth
"I know." to her. We both look at the teacher, Ms. P. She appears to be looking around the classroom, hoping to catch the guilty party. Both Lilian, and I, quickly look back at our papers, hoping to avoid her attention. No such luck.
"Lilian. Katie. Are you texting in class?"
"No ma'am." We answer in unison.
"Oh really? Then why did Katie's phone go off?" She looks directly at Lilian.
"I don't know." Lilian answers politely. I need to defend her.
"She wasn't texting me. At least, not that I know of." I say. "But it was my phone." I admit. "I wasn't texting anyone though, it just went off."
"Who's the text from?" Ms. P asks, clearly getting more annoyed with me. Great. First getting hit with a door, and now this! As I pull my phone out, one thought is repeating in my head. Please be Sam. Please be Sam. Oh boy. It isn't.

J: Hey

K: i need to call you

J: right now?! 😮

K: yeah, and u need to pretend to be my grandpa!

J: what.

K: no time to explain!

"Who is it?" Ms. P repeats her question.
"My grandpa, just wanting to see how my new school is."
"Can you call him to confirm this?" My teacher asks. I figured she would ask, it's what all the teachers at my old school did.
"Sure!" I reply, a smile on my face. My teacher looks taken-aback, she clearly figured I'd say no, so she could trap me in a lie, and keep me after school. Kind of like a spider trapping a fly in its web, to keep it and eat it. Can you guess who's the spider and who's the fly?
"Fine. Put it on speaker." she snaps. I happily oblige. It rings for a few seconds, and then he picks up. It's probably a good thing he's an actor.
"Hello? Katie? Why are you calling me?" I'm trying so hard not to laugh. But his voice is like a perfect imitation of my grandfather.
"Hi grandpa! My math teacher asked me to call you, since you texted me." Its silent on the other end for a minute. And then,
" You teachers these days, you don't trust your students! I guarantee every single one of 'em are going to do something more productive with their lives then teach! Unlike you!" He tries to continue, but I cut him off.
"Thanks grandpa! Bye!" I hang up the phone, and glance at my teacher. She looks appalled.
"Are you satisfied that it was my grandpa?"
"Yes." Replies my teacher, clearly defeated. The whole class starts laughing. I'll have to give J props for that later, even though he got me into this mess in the first place! Oh my gosh. I just realized both the door and this involved texting him. But then again, so did meeting people who like Henry Danger, in a way.
"That was awesome!" Lilian says to me. "Who was that?"
"A friend." I reply. I keep a straight face, so she doesn't figure out the real story.
"Oh, ok. He was pretty good!"
"Yeah, he's an actor. That's why I called him." I explain. It looks like our teacher isn't going to try and calm the class down, so Lilian and I have a conversation. We're in our second class after lunch now, and that meant, unfortunately, no more Ashtyn.
"So what are you going to do about Blake?" She asks me.
"What do you mean?" I ask, confused. "Did I annoy him by bringing up HD?"
"Noo! Of course not! Don't be silly. I meant, about the fact that he likes you!"
"What are you talking about? I just met him this morning!"
"Well, I've been friends with him long enough to know that he's crushing on you."
"Oh. Well that's awkward..." I say the second part quieter then the first, hoping Lilian won't hear.
"What's awkward? Omg do you have a boyfriend!?" She demands. I laugh.
"I wish! Nah Its just I'm kind of going to hang out with an old friend after school and its a guy, that's all. But it's not a date! Like my sister will be there."
"Suuure. Not a date." Lilian says, teasing me. Before I can explain anymore, the bell rings to end class.