Chapter 1

Riley's POV

I sat anxiously, biting at my nail. I can't believe what I just saw. I just can't. James told me that him and Beth were over. I thought we were happy. But there he was. Standing in the middle of the music room, kissing Beth. And now I sat in Culture Shock, disappointed in myself. I could've said something right then and there. I should've said something. But I didn't. My brain just stopped thinking. My heart froze. And I ran. I ran away like a coward. And now I was sitting in Culture Shock, waiting. What was I waiting for? Him to come down and pretend like nothing happened? Me to finally yell at him? I wasn't sure what I was waiting for, or what would happen when I saw him. All I knew was that my heart was currently laying on the floor in the doorway to the music room, shattered in thousands of pieces. I heard him before I saw him. His contagious laugh was always so loud. People couldn't help but feel happier when they heard it. Except today, I felt nothing. I think I was too numb to feel anything. He came bounding in, his usual goofy grin on his face. He spotted me, immediately making his way over and sitting across from me. "Hey Riles." He beamed. I inhaled, staring at the table with a blank expression. "Riley?" James asked, his tone becoming more serious as the grin fell from his face.
"I saw you." I whispered, refusing to look up.
"What?" He asked softly. I didn't know if he hadn't heard what I'd said or if he didn't understand what I meant. Either way, I repeated it louder, clarifying for him.
"I saw you kiss Beth." I told him, using all my strength to lift my gaze to meet his eyes. I watched his face, waiting. He looked shocked. For once, he actually looked speechless. I swallowed the lump in my throat, grabbing my things and standing up.
"Ri, wait." James said, grabbing my arm to keep me from leaving. I turned back to look at him, shaking my head.
"It's not worth it James." I told him. He looked hurt by my words, but he let me go. I walked away from him, not daring to look back. Even without looking, I knew his eyes were following me out. Once I was out of the building, I leaned against the wall, closing my eyes and willing the tears not to fall. I took a few shaky, uneven breaths, sniffling as I reached up to wipe my eyes. Then I grabbed my dance bag, swinging it over my shoulder, before I started walking home. I kept my arms crossed over my chest, keeping my sweater wrapped tightly around my torso. I let my head hang as I walked, trying to hide the stray tears that managed to escape down my cheeks. I can't believe I was so stupid. Why did I think I wasn't going to get played? It was about 20 minutes into my walk that I heard a voice address me.
"Hey! You!" Someone called. I didn't know anyone around, so I assumed that it wasn't me being yelled at. However, as I continued walking, they yelled again. "Princess!" The voice yelled again. I stopped walking, turning to see who was yelling. It was a group of 4 kids that I recognized from school, despite the fact that they hardly ever went. I sniffled, hoping I could hide the fact that I'd been crying.
"What do you want?" I asked, refusing to move closer. There was about a good 50 feet between us. I wanted to keep it that way.
"Come closer! This yelling shit is ridiculous and quite rude!" The boy replied. I sighed, not quite feeling comfortable with the idea of associating with them, but also knowing he was right. I swallowed my pride, walking closer to the group.
"You're Riley Carter aren't you?" The only girl in the group asked. I nodded my head, feeling them all stare me up and down.
"You're that good girl everyone's always raving about. The pride and joy of Eastview." The guy chuckled. I remembered his name now. Trenton Williams. I don't know how I could've forgotten it, I hear him being called to the office every day.
"What do you want?" I asked again, rubbing my arm anxiously. I wasn't feeling totally comfortable with this situation. Trenton stepped closer, looking me up and down as he circled me. He stared long enough I could tell that he was undressing me with his eyes. I exhaled, glancing to the side. His eyes fell on my chest and he noticed the chain around my neck. He reached forward, brushing his fingers against my collarbone as he lifted the chain. He examined the small gold cross necklace, a smirk forming on his face.
"Religious are we?" He questioned, a brow raised in amusement.
"Sometimes." I replied, crossing my arms in an insecure type of way.
"Could you help us out and answer a few questions?" He smirked.