Chapter 20

I wanted to give a small update on the family. As mentioned previously, the mother's injuries were non-life threatening and she is in stable condition. The oldest child was unharmed because he was at university at the time of the shooting. He is back with his mom now. There have been many events to honour the family, including prayer sessions and acknowledgement from all the community activities they were involved in. Today was the memorial service. Due to Covid precautions it was very small, but it was live streamed on YouTube I believe. If anyone is interested in watching the memorial or reading an article on the event, Google 'Traynor Family Oshawa'. Thank you again for allowing me the time I needed, and for keeping them in your thoughts and prayers ❤️
They'll never be whole again, but hopefully one day they will be able to move on.

Riley's POV

Michelle hadn't been in the juice bar, so I was heading up to studio A to check there. If she wasn't alone, I'd decided I would take Halston to the juice bar to wait. As I got closer to studio A I heard voices. I didn't recognize them though, so I thought maybe I was safe. I stepped in, looking around. My brows furrowed. This doesn't look like studio A anymore. There was a huge canvas covering the chicken wall, a picture of some lady's face with the words Miss Angela's The Next Step. Tables were set around studio A, as if they were planning for a party. The tables had hideous table cloths and cougar print accents. There was also a pile of tackily wrapped presents, some having accents of the same cougar print. A group of teenagers, who I'm presuming are A troupe, were arguing in the middle of it all, but upon hearing my footsteps they turned. "You're not Miss Kate and Miss Angela." A guy said. I glanced at them all quickly. They all looked confused, except one girl. She looked shocked.
"I'm sorry, I think I'm lost." I lied, grabbing Halston's hand and turning to leave. That's when I heard it.
"You're Riley Carter!" Someone gasped. I turned back to the group, seeing the girl who was looking shocked staring at me with wide eyes, her face now displaying excitement.
"Who?" Another person asked, staring confusedly at the girl now. I noticed while most of the teens were giving that one girl odd looks, 2 of them, a guy and girl, were glancing me up and down, an unreadable expression on their faces.
"Riley Carter. She's like the biggest health and fitness YouTuber ever! She got really famous by posting her workouts and day to day life after becoming a single, teen mom!" The girl who'd first recognized me explained. "I'm absolutely dying I can't believe you're here right now! I am your biggest fan! My names Lily. Can I get a photo?!" She added, practically shaking with excitement.
"Um, sure." I replied, glancing over at the guy and girl who were still watching me with blank expressions. Lily ran over to me, smiling as she took a few selfies with Halston and I. The others seemed confused by Lily's outburst. I'm getting the idea she doesn't usually fangirl like this.
"When did you get into health and fitness?" The girl who had been giving me looks questioned. As soon as she spoke, I recognized her voice. I realized I recognized the guy as well, just by looking at him a moment longer.
"After having my daughter." I told Richelle.
"She's actually adorable. What did you name her?" She asked me, walking over and kneeling down to get a better look.
"I'm Halston Blake Carter. I'm 4." Halston announced, smiling at Richelle. She definitely did not get my personality. She's much more extroverted than I ever was.
"Halston Blake. You named her after Emily. That's sweet." Noah smiled at me. I sent him a small smile back. I love Emily, even if she hates me. I couldn't help but give Halston the same middle name.
"Wait! You know her?!" Lily asked, staring between Richelle and Noah in disbelief.
"Yeah. She used to dance here." Noah replied. Lily gasped loudly.
"You danced here?!" She exclaimed, looking beyond excited at this point. "I dance at the studio Riley Carter danced at!" She said happily. By this point, a few other girls had come to talk to Halston, who was more than happy to converse with them. Halsey loves new people and making new friends. I think the girls thought she was adorable, which she is.

Richelle's POV

"You know who she reminds me of?"
Amy asked me, tearing her gaze away from Riley's daughter.
"Who?" I asked, genuinely interested. I thought it would be funny if she said Emily, seeing as she didn't know Riley was Emily's sister. Amy motioned to the door as she said the name.
"Piper." I saw Riley's eyes widen at the same time as Piper's, who had just appeared as a few seconds ago and was now standing in the doorway, looking shell shocked.
"I'm sorry but I'm really late for meeting someone. I have to go." Riley said quickly, grabbing Halston's hand and dragging her away from us. As she turned, she did a double take, finally noticing Piper standing frozen in the doorway. Riley let out a shaky breath, biting her lip. Everyone around us was silent, confused by what was happening. No one, except myself, Piper and Noah, knew about Riley, or how she'd run away. Or that she'd dated James. Amy thought it was a weird coincidence. Piper, Noah and myself knew better. Piper slowly walked in, her eyes fixated on Halston, who was completely unaware of what was happening.
"I came to tell you I wasn't quitting A troupe." Piper announced, letting us all know why she was here. She stepped closer to Riley, lifting her gaze to look at her now. "Did you even tell him?" Piper asked her. Riley sighed, bringing Halston closer to her in a protective manner.
"He was drunk. He didn't even know we'd slept together." Riley told her. Piper exhaled, looking angry.
"You could've told him." She replied. Riley bit her lip again, tears filling her eyes.
"I'm sorry." She said quietly. Piper kneeled down to Halston's height, taking in her appearance. Amy was right, they look similar. I definitely see more of Riley in her than I see of James though. Halston smiled at Piper, swinging the hand holding her mother's.
"You're pretty." She stated. I watched Piper practically melt, this look of adoration and love forming on her face.
"Come here." She said, pulling Halston into a tight hug.
"You know them too?" Lily asked, still sounding shocked. Piper nodded, holding Halston close to her.
"Yeah. This is my niece."