Chapter 23

Michelle's POV

"John, where the hell are you?! I've been sitting in this restaurant for 45 minutes!" I snapped into the phone. "Hurry up or I'm leaving. I don't care what your surprise is." I said, before hanging up the phone. Hopefully he'll get that voicemail.
"Michelle!" I heard a little voice yell. I looked up from my phone, seeing Halston running towards me. My eyes widened and a smile spread across my face.
"Halsey!" I exclaimed, standing up from my chair. Halston ran up to me, throwing her arms around me. I squeezed her tightly, lifting her off the floor. What is Riley doing here? I saw John appear through the crowd, heading over to me with a smile on his face.
"Good surprise?" He asked. I nodded.
"Great surprise." I smiled.
"Well, the surprises keeping coming." He said. I furrowed my brows, confused. I saw Riley hear over to us, smiling at me. And behind her was..... James? Riley hugged me, saying hi. But I was too focussed on James, who stood a few feet away.
"What's going on?" I questioned as I pulled away from the hug. Riley glanced back at James, before looking to me, an unamused look on her face.
"It's a long story." She stated. I nodded, figuring she would tell me later. We sat at the table, the atmosphere clearly awkward. Halston was playing on Riley's phone, while the rest of us just sat quietly. Riley couldn't even look at James, instead glancing all over the restaurant. James couldn't stop stealing glances over at Halston. He looked unsure, like he was second guessing being here right now. John and I kept trying to make small talk, but every conversation seemed to get shut down. I let out a breath, glancing down at menu. Suddenly, Halston piped up, breaking the silence.
"Mommy?" Riley replied with a small 'hmm?' "Did you love my real daddy?" She asked. Riley jumped in surprise at the question, looking down at Halston with wide eyes. James, who I assumed knew Halston was his, glanced over at Riley, trying not to make his stare obvious.
"Why are you asking?" Riley questioned, clearly trying to avoid Halston's question.
"Well Grace's mom loves her dad, so they're married. But Alyna's mom doesn't love Alyna's dad, so they aren't." Halston answered.
"Janell was never married. Alyna's dad wasn't a nice man. Janell left him so Alyna would be safe." Riley explained to her daughter.
"Were you married?" Halston inquired.
"No." Riley replied.
"Didn't you tell me I have to be married to have babies?" Halston asked.
"You do." Riley told her.
"That's not fair." Halsey pouted.
"Do you know how old I was when I had you?" Riley questioned. Halston nodded.
"You were 17." Her daughter answered. Riley's face flashed with worry as she sighed.
"Just because mommy had a baby at 17 doesn't mean you do, okay?" Riley stated.
"Okay. I'll try." Halston replied.
"You'll try?!" Riley exclaimed, clearly panicking. "You will do more than try." She mumbled, turning away from her daughter.
"Was my real daddy a nice man?" Halston asked.
"Yes, he was." Riley answered.
"Did you love him?" Halston inquired again. Riley sighed, realizing Halston wouldn't give up on this anytime soon.
"I did." Riley told her. I watched James soften as he stared at Riley. Riley was doing everything she could to avoid looking at him. Maybe it hadn't been obvious to him because she never told him, but I knew. Riley acted out in the way she had because she was clearly heartbroken. Someone she loved had betrayed her.
"How did you meet my real dad?" Halston asked.
"We used to dance together, when Michelle and mommy danced together. We were on the same team." Riley told her daughter. Halston moved Riley's phone, showing it to me.
"Is this my real dad?" She asked me. How would she have any idea who her dad is? I could see Riley watching us with worry, James with interest and confusion. I looked at the phone, confused. Then I saw it. Halston had scrolled far back in the camera roll, and was looking at a photo from when we won Regionals. The team was posed in studio A, Emily and I holding the trophy. Most of the photos were the whole team, plus Kate and Chris, smiling at the camera happily. This one though, had everyone but two people smiling at the camera. I remember James had distracted Riley from the photos being taken, and when she was telling him to knock it off, he'd pulled her in for a kiss. You could see them embracing each other, their lips locked in a sweet kiss. The funny thing was no one had noticed until the photographer sent the photos a week later. Halston was pointing at James, staring up at me with small, hopeful eyes. I glanced over at Riley and James unsurely. Neither of them were any help, their faces were blank. I sighed. Might as well be honest.
"Yes, that's your real dad." I told Halsey. Her eyes lit up. A huge smile spread across her face. She placed Riley's phone on the table, climbing off her chair and running over to where James sat.
"You came back!" She exclaimed, crawling into his lap and hugging him tight. My mouth fell open in surprise. How could she tell it was James? He looks pretty different now. James looked surprised too, but a small smile spread across his face as he hugged his daughter. I watched Riley drop her gaze to the table, sighing and looking uncomfortable. She let out an exhale, nervously fiddling with her napkin.