Chapter 21

Riley's POV

I was trying to stay calm on the outside, but on the inside I was freaking out. I was already nervous about Richelle, Noah and this Lily girl recognizing me and knowing about Halston, but now Piper knows about her. That's the third worst thing that could happen. The second worst would be if my family found out. The worst would be if James found out. But now he's going to. Piper's gonna tell him. But that doesn't mean he has to meet Halston. I could feel the spare key to John's car in my pocket. He'd given it to me in case we decided to go sit in the car and wait. I can grab my things and leave quickly. John will understand. He's always thought James doesn't deserve the joys of parenthood anyway. I slipped my phone out of my purse, going onto the Uber app and booking a ride. I tried to make it look inconspicuous, like I was replying to a text instead of planning my escape. "I am so sorry but there's an issue at my hotel that I have to go deal with." I announced, pulling Halston away from Piper and picking her up. I didn't want to waste time dragging Halston away from her new 'friends'.
"I could watch her if you want." Piper offered. I shook my head.
"I'm good, thanks." I replied, walking towards the doors. As I made my way down the hall, a pair turned the corner. I stopped in my tracks. One woman was from the canvas in studio, I had to assume she was Miss Angela. The other was Miss Kate. She recognized me immediately. She froze, her eyes slightly wide as she glanced between me and the child in my arms. I exhaled, swallowing the lump in my throat and stepping around them, hurrying towards the stairs. I felt a bit better when I made it to the parking lot. I felt like I could breath again. I headed straight for John's car, unlocking it and beginning to pull my bags out.

John's POV

We were in the middle of a song when Piper came running in. She unplugged the amp, causing the sound of Luke's guitar to silence. "Hey! What did you do that for?!" He snapped, Theo, James and myself stopping playing.
"James, I saw Riley." Piper said, stepping closer to him. I bit the inside of my cheek.
"Good lord." Luke mumbled, looking pissed off. "Can't this wait?" He questioned.
"No! She knows I saw her, I think she's leaving again." Piper told her brother.
"So?" James asked, shrugging.
"You can't let her leave! Don't you want to see her again?" Piper asked.
"No Pipes. I haven't seen her in over 5 years, I have no reason to see her now." James explained.
"She has a daughter!" Piper suddenly said, as if the information spilled out of her, which I guess it kind of did. I held my breath, watching, waiting for a reaction. James sat for a moment. He was frozen in place, staring at the drum set in front of him. After what felt like the longest minute of my life, he spoke.
"Whoever the father is, he's a lucky man." He responded quietly, standing up and starting to walk away. I was surprised by his reaction. He was..... Nice. He didn't have some huge melt down, he was calm, reserved. He was acting like a good guy. But he's not a good guy. Or at least I'd never thought of him as one. He cheated on Riley, he left her, he then drunkenly slept with her and got her pregnant. That's not good guy stuff. But he did apologize countless times for cheating, he tried to win her back, and if he slept with her drunk, then wasn't part of him still attracted to her? Maybe he is a good guy? His reaction was one of shock. Even sadness maybe. Is there a chance he still feels something for her? Is that why Piper came running here? Not to get Riley in trouble, but to help her brother, who's still in love with her?
"James!" Piper called after him as he walked away. He didn't respond. He didn't even acknowledge her. "James! You're the father! It's your child!" Piper yelled. James stopped walking, turning to face Piper.
"I never slept with her." He told her. Piper shook her head.
"You did! You had to have! Just go see Riley, before it's too late! You'll see the kid! You'll know." Piper argued. James sighed, but walked in the opposite direction of the way he had been going, heading for the parking lot.