Chapter 7

Riley's POV

"Riley Elizabeth Carter! Get in this house immediately!" Those were the first words to leave my mother's mouth when she saw me and my friends standing outside smoking. "And put out those cigarettes! All of you." She added, getting out of her car, and walking to the front door. She opened the door, pushing me inside, before slamming it shut. "What the hells the matter with you?!" She exclaimed, throwing her purse out of the way. I shrugged, ignoring her. "Go put some proper clothes on!" She told me sternly.
"This is what I want to wear mother." I responded, sitting on the back of the couch.
"Don't test my patience! Has your father seen you yet?!" She asked.
"Have I seen who yet?" My dad questioned, coming into the room. His eyes landed on me, and his mouth fell open. "What the hell are you doing?!" He snapped, looking me up and down.
"I'm showing how I really feel, dad." I replied, rolling my eyes.
"You feel like a stripper?!" He asked, angrily.
"Get off the back of that! You're gonna break my couch!" My mom snapped at me. I swung my legs over, sliding to sit on the couch cushion. I heard my mom sigh in frustration. I knew that wasn't what she meant.
"Would you go put some clothes on?!" My dad hollered at me.
"I would rather wear these ones!" I yelled back.
"Go to your room!" My dad scolded, walking around the couch to grab my arm tightly. He yanked me to my feet, continuing to squeeze my arm. "Get up there right now!" He told me.
"I rather wouldn't." I stated. My father gaped at me, before snapping back to reality and smacking me. I held my stinging cheek, knowing it was turning bright red.
"GO UPSTAIRS!" He yelled, absolutely furious with me. I pulled my arm from his grasp, turning and heading up to my room. I only just closed my door, before it was opened again. I turned, seeing my sister standing there nervously.
"What do you want?" I groaned, pulling my phone out of my pocket, and flopping down on my bed.
"Can we talk?" She asked quietly, walking over to sit beside me. I ignored her, but she took my silence as a 'yes'. "I don't know what's gotten into you-" She started, but I immediately cut her off.
"Nothing's 'gotten into me'. I'm fine. I'm more than fine actually. Now could you please leave?!" I snapped. She sighed, but stood, walking out and closing my door.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It was seven, I was starving. At first, my dad told me I could come eat when I took these 'ridiculous clothes' off, threw out the cigarettes, and apologized to everyone for my actions. Then I told him to shut the fuck up, and that I could do whatever the hell I wanted, and he quickly took back what he had first said, instead saying I could go to bed without dinner tonight. A knock on my door surprised me, seeing as I thought all my family members were exhausted with me already. When I didn't respond, the door opened. I was surprised to see Michelle standing there, looking sad and sympathetic. "Hi, Riley." She said quietly.
"What do you want?" I asked her, getting straight to the point.
"I want to talk." She told me. I opened my mouth, but she quickly stopped me before I could say anything. "And I want you to listen." She added. I sighed, but closed my mouth, looking at her dully. "I know what this all is really about. You're gonna tell me it's you, you're gonna say it's who you really are, but it's not, and I know it's not. This isn't the real Riley, this is a broken one. You tried to move on from James, but you got pulled back in. You're scared you can't trust anyone anymore, but you can. I'm here for you, your family is here for you, A troupe and your friends are here for you. I know you're sad, but don't let James turn you into this." She spoke, still looking at me with that sympathetic look.
"It's not about James." I mumbled, turning to look away from her.
"Alright, fine then. Deny it, whatever makes you feel better. But know if you ever need anything, I'm here for you." She stated, before I heard her walk away, and close my bedroom door.