Chapter 1: Observance

It was the middle of a hot summer in the Hyogo prefecture and [y/n] just finished her student application weeks prior. She has decided to take a jog in such heat to her new high school as she was told there was going to be summer volleyball practices. 'Man, this school must be good to have practices held in the middle of summer with heat like this' she thought to herself.

Her move into the new prefecture was unexpected as her parents were given great job opportunities in their widely known hospital. [y/n] had moved from the Miyagi prefecture containing all her childhood friends and memories so it has been tough to take in due to the far distance of her old hometown but she completely understood and supported her parents while at it.

She approaches the gates of Inarizaki High School and reflects on the fact that this is where she will spend the rest of her high school life. She breathes in and out calmly and enters the property walking further into the school grounds in hopes of looking for the gym. The campus wasn't empty but it wasn't full either. Some clubs had practices and meetings in preparation for the upcoming school year. As she walks around she hears the faint sounds of shoe screeches and bouncing balls eventually following it. Upon following the sound she stumbles upon a staircase leading to the doors of the building.

"This must be the gymnasium," [y/n] said aloud. "Yes, yes it is," a tall figure appeared next to [y/n]. She was frightened a bit and looked next to her. The male figure was about a head taller than her and had grayish hair with black dipped ends.

"I'm Kita, Kita Shinsuke," he introduced. "You must be [y/n] [l/n]." [y/n] was a bit shocked as to how the boy knew of her name. "Don't worry, I'm captain of the boy's volleyball team. I've heard from the coaches that there would be a new transferee coming and they told us about your volleyball background." [y/n] was still a bit shocked but composed herself naturally.

"Ah, I see, nice to meet you Shinsuke-kun." She nervously smiled. He smiled back and offered to introduce her to his teammates after practice which she gladly accepted. The two went up the stairs and entered the building.

'Whoa,' she thought. The space was taken up by the set up of 2 volleyball nets and a couple of carts stacked with balls.

"Feel free to watch and if you have any questions our coaches are over there." Kita pointed towards the direction of two figures. [y/n] thanked the boy and walked towards the direction he gave her. The two coaches saw [y/n] and kindly welcomed her to the high school. They gave her a brief introduction to the volleyball team providing her with information about her spot on the team. [y/n] bowed in appreciation and walked towards the benches to observe the team in front of her which was the boys team.

They seemed seriously focused in their scrimmage against each other. She was amazed at their skills and spotted Kita running for an approach to hit. Her eyes weren't just glued to the hitter but towards the setter. The ball was swiftly spiked over the net aimed deeply towards the opponent's side of the court. [y/n]'s eyes sparkled at the sight of the combination and looked at the setter again. He was a bit taller than Kita, slightly tanner, and had black undercut with blonde hair. She blushed at the sight of the boy and shook her head trying to regain focus of the practice.

It was around 4 pm by the time the practice ended. [y/n] stood up from her spot and walked towards the doors of the gym. "[l/n]! Come here I wanted to introduce you to my team," Kita yelled in a monotone. [y/n] was surprised a bit and turned to walk towards her new friend. She was introduced to the boy's team and told them how amazing they played through the practice. She noticed something a bit off with the sight of them thinking if someone was missing but didn't bother to mention it. They all chuckled and smiled while welcoming her to the school and volleyball team. The small talk didn't last too long as she told them she was heading home, in which they all greeted her goodbye.

[y/n] walked outside to find the missing figure of the team. 'It's him' she thought while processing her attention to the blond-haired figure from earlier. He was at the staircase with a girl that seemed to be from a different club. [y/n] was slightly shocked and a little sad at the sight of the handsome athlete. 'Oi! You don't even know the guy so there shouldn't be a reason to get sad!' She told herself. She went down the staircase passing by the two figures and stopped by a vending machine to get a drink.

'This isn't so bad, I think I'll be alright' she thought while waiting for her drink to come out. Once she got her drink she opened it and started drinking the melon soda while walking.

"Hey, you're the new girl our coaches were talking about," a voice said. [y/n] turned around to find the handsome figure from earlier. She blushed a little and replied with a small 'yeah'.

"I'm Atsumu Miya, it's nice to meet ya."

"I'm [y/n]," she smiled. The two began conversing with each other while walking to the gates of the school. She had the idea that he was pretty popular around the school when he began bragging about being invited to the National Junior volleyball camp held before the spring tournament. [y/n] was pretty interested in his commitment to the sport and found that they were walking in the same direction.

"I don't mean to interrupt or be rude but you're not following me are you?" She said to the blonde hair setter. "Oh no, I'm not I just happen to go the same way." He answered with a flirtatious smile. Her mouth formed a small 'o' and apologized for her question which made him chuckle.

It was indeed a fact that they were going the same direction which would soon come to an end when she arrived at her house.

"Well, this is my place. It was really nice meeting you Miya-kun," [y/n] said in front of the gate to her house. To her surprise, the boy looked shocked for a moment.

"Is anything wrong?"

He recollected his thoughts and snapped back to reality. "Oh! No no, there's nothing wrong," He replied back. She sighed a bit in relief and looked up at him only to find him smirking. 

"..neighbor."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hey guys! I'm quite a noob at this so I hope my work isn't too shabby. Anyways I hope you look forward to my work even if I'm new ><.

AnYwAyS thanks for reading the first chapter ;D