22.

Chapter Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzaOBg7qjAk

It began with a school trip to an ancient art museum: while the girls were mimicking a group of statues for a photo, Marben had the sharp sensation that a couple of the security cameras of the museum had turned specifically to film their way. She readily forced herself to dismiss it as a bout of paranoia, but later, when no other than Sir Reginald Hargreeves appeared at the museum, it became clear that it was too big of a coincidence to really be one. And so the girl made a beeline to reach her cousin's side and grab her hand; Myery's glance went at once to Marben's troubled face, then crossed the hall. A moment later, the two of them had sneaked at the top of the row, right next to the professors, Lear and Diana suddenly by their sides.

From then on, the four girls had started to never stray from the class - and to never let their eyes wander too, for Marben, whose glance had immediately crossed the man's cold one the only time she had dared to look back to see if he was following. True to their words, Turandot and Fulvius had both made themselves known shortly after Sir Hargreeves' arrival, and taken to roaming through the museum's halls, always watching Marben's back, encouraging her to keep her eyes down, always standing between her and the disturbing presence of the Monocle.

Since then, Sir Reginald Hargreeves began to appear very often wherever the girls went. Very suspiciously, he always knew where to be at the right moment and where to look.

                                      .oO°Oo.

The next time that the ominous Sir showed up during rehearsal - stiff, with the monocle on and the usual journal with the shiny cover under his arm - Mister Kai barely payed him mind; just a glance over a shoulder and the orchestra didn't even stop playing. Marben, instead, watched their guest very keenly with all the discretion she was capable of, and even more keenly she tried to watch the other two people who had taken place by his side in the stalls. Klaus looked nauseated and pale, if that was however due to a phase of withdrawal from drugs or the mere vicinity of his father, Marben couldn't discern. The woman seated next to the boy didn't look too well also, but Marben didn't have the opportunity to observe her properly: surprisingly, from between two folds of the red velvet curtain Fulvius told her not to look at the woman with a glance alone and a shake of his head. Marben would've trusted Fulv with her life regardless, but this time something in his dark eyes really scared her. So she lowered her gaze to the music sheets and never looked up until the rehearsal was over.

Later, Hargreeves and his acolytes were joined by Headmaster Pembroke and lingered to discuss with him the last issues related to the upcoming benefit concert. While the orchestra put away its instruments and discreetly reached the exits, Marben exchanged just one look with Klaus, and didn't like at all what she saw. He looked haunted, scared and hopeless. Sadly, however, she had to go and follow the rest of her class out of the Theatre. The mystery in Fulvius' eyes and Klaus' despair, tough, didn't abandon her for the test of the day.

                                     .oO°Oo.

"Do you know what Fulv was doing at the Theatre, the other day?". Turandot gave Marben one of her patented eloquent glances, her generous lips slightly curling and her black eyebrows furrowing a bit.
"Looking after you, like we always do".
"Well, thanks mom, and sorry for the bother!". Turandot's features swiftly softened.
"You know we do it because we love you, it's no bother to us. We've been getting worried, lately, and feeling the need to follow you more closely". Marben looked up quizzically at the beautiful dark woman: she kept better than Fulvius, perhaps it was because of the lack of gaps between her teeth or the clothes, always clean and in perfect conditions despite being in light colors. Her luscious black hair, olive complexion and generally sad aura, anyhow, made her be perceived as a dark spot in the visual field. 
"Worried about what?".
"Sir Reginald Hargreeves". Marben groaned, like a sudden bout of bellyache had struck her.
"Oh no, not you too!" she mumbled darkly. "I came across that man the day I arrived here, and at the time he was just an eccentric billionaire with a load of kids. Now everyone I know thinks he's plotting something in the dark!". 
"'Everyone' who, exactly?" asked Turandot, confused, then shrugged it off and went back to her previous point. "Think about it, isn't it suspicious that all of a sudden he takes an interest in your School?".
"He wants a show and we can provide an orchestra and a Theater, so...look, it has nothing to do with the School, he just wants to be seen as contrite by the community and clean up his conscience".
"Yes, as if he cared at all about those poor sods who died!".
"I too know that Arsegreeves doesn't give a damn about the victims of the fire, thank you very much".
"Are you being deliberately obtuse, then?". Marben sharply closed her mouth and turned to look at her friend: Turandot was fuming.
"Think, Marben, why right there? Connect the dots!". To that, the blonde girl's mind crowded with too many, all different answers. Sighing, she chose to be honest, even if it cost her.
"I don't want to".
Turandot probably perceived what was troubling the girl then, so she let the anger dissolve, and her eyes soften as her whole body relaxed. 
"You already did, didn't you? You've already guessed what that man might be after...". Sadly, Marben lowered her eyes and nodded. The dark-haired woman sat down beside her, and placing a hand on the back of her neck she guided Marben against her chest, wrapping her in an embrace. The girl lost herself in it, closing her eyes. They remained cuddled for a long time, careless of the noise of the traffic in the distance, as well as of the sun sliding towards the horizon, of the air becoming colder and darker.
"Alright, maybe some digging wouldn't be a bad idea" conceded Marben when she felt like herself again, raising her head with a sigh. Turandot gently stroked her cheek.
"Just be careful, okay? Stay away from that man and be discreet" she pleaded. "Fulvius and I will be watching your back, as always, but...prudence is never too much". Marben smiled at her.
"Don't worry, I'll be having The Girls with me".

A/N: Weren't we stuck in isolation, these days would have been a holiday: I wish you not to spend them alone, that you can enjoy the company of your loved ones and that, even if you are not religious (like me), may these be days you'll spend not thinking about unhappy things, but just breathing the new spring's fresh air. Be happy, you owe it to yourselves. Love.