eight

JANIE'S POV

Malibu was everything we had expected and more. As soon as we arrived, we headed straight to the beach and spent the day drinking beer with our feet in the warm sand. I kept my phone off in hopes of ignoring my issues with Charlie, and with every passing hour, it slips farther from my brain. I also tried to not think about Harry. It was just one night, I keep reminding myself.

"I never want to leave," I sigh, sitting deeper in my lounge chair and covering my lap with a towel. I was warm and sleepy after a day in the sun.

"Me, neither," Zoey agrees. "It's so beautiful here."

"I, for one, am ready to start the evening," Bella grins and sits up in her chair.

"What did you have in mind?" Emma asks and Bella's grin gets wider.

"Nothing in particular! I've just heard of some clubs and bars that are fun! Let's bar hop!"

"I don't know, B," I shake my head. "After last night I don't know if I can even smell alcohol."

"Just take it easy! C'mon, I hear nightlife here is insane. Maybe we'll see a celebrity or something," Bella says and I swear I can see a glint in her eyes. Emma squints at her.

"What are you scheming, B," she glares jokingly.

"Nothing!" She says defensively. "I just want us to go out and have fun! C'mon guys, let's start packing up." She stands up and we all groan in response.

"Five more minutes," I say, absolutely content where I was.

"Nope! Get up. We're going to dinner." Bella pulls my towel off my lap and throws me my sweatshirt when I complain about being cold. We pack up slowly as Bella taps her foot impatiently. "C'mon, y'all. Any day now."

"Why are you in such a hurry?" I ask.

"I'm just hungry! And Allie told me about this awesome sushi place not too far from our hotel. So, let's go get dressed, get dinner, and then go out."

Bella has to practically herd us off the beach as we grumble complaints, but once Zoey puts on our going-out playlist in our hotel room, we start to get excited about the night.

"Have you talked to Charlie today?" Emma asks as I put on my foundation. I had almost completely gotten our fight out of our head, but Emma's question brings back the pit in my stomach.

"Not yet," I sigh.

"Maybe you should call him before we go out. Just tell him y'all can talk about it when we get home next week," she suggests.

"Yeah, that way it can be off of your mind and you don't have to worry about it. I can tell it's bothering you. You haven't stopped chewing your lip all day," Zoey adds from the other side of the room. I nod, knowing they're right. They're always right.

"Okay, I'll be right back." I stand up and grab my phone before heading out to the hotel hallway. The phone rings once before he picks up.

"Janie? What the hell?" He answers angrily.

"I'm sorry," I say off the bat, hoping he won't yell at me more.

"For what? Ignoring me last night, or ignoring me today? Or both?"

"Both. I'm sorry," I repeat and he sighs.

"What were you doing?"

"We just went to a bar and were having fun. Some guy bought us drinks and we just got a little too drunk," I explain as I pace nervously.