twenty

JANIE'S POV

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Emma says, concern evident on her face as she unloaded her suitcase from the back of the car. My three best friends stared at me with worry as the hustle and bustle of LAX ensued behind them. 

"I'm positive. Harry is talking to the label and arranging an apartment for me in the next few days, and I'm just going to stay at the hotel until he does so," I explain and she nods curtly. She had asked me if I was okay countless times during our drive to the airport. She wanted to know everything, and I didn't blame her. She and the girls were leaving me in Los Angeles with a man we met just over a week ago. They were already protective enough. 

"Have you told Charlie yet?" Zoey says, slinging her backpack over her shoulders. 

"No, not yet," I sigh.

"When are you going to?" Bella asks, pulling her blonde hair into a loose ponytail. 

"Tonight, when I get back to the hotel. I'm going to just try and bite the bullet," I sigh again and they nod.

"How do you think he's going to take it?"

"I mean, not well, considering he flipped out over Harry just buying me a drink. He's going to have a field day when I tell him I'm not coming home until August," I groan, helping Bella grab her suitcase from the trunk and set it down on the ground. I push my fingers through my hair, trying to reduce the sweat gathering along my hairline. 

"If he loves you, he'll understand," Emma assures me, but I still can't help but feel uneasy. "The more time goes on, the less I believe that."

"Is that everything?" Bella asks, peering into the trunk and I nod. I take a deep breath, preparing for what is to come. 

"I guess this is goodbye," I sigh and turn back to my best friends. "I'm sorry again. For not spending as much time with y'all as we were supposed to."

"Oh, hush," Zoey shakes her head before extending her arms to me. "We wouldn't have wanted it any other way." She wraps her arms around me and pulls me into a secure hug. "Don't take this for granted. Enjoy every day." She lets go with a proud smile that makes my heart bloom. 

Emma grabs me next, nearly suffocating me with her hug. "Be safe, be good. Be the amazing Janie we know you are," she says. "You deserve to be here. He's lucky to have you." 

"He really is," Bella adds. Emma holds me for another moment and I fight back tears. "Can I hug her now?" Emma lets go, a tear evident in her eyes as well. 

"We're so proud of you, Janes," she sniffles, squeezing my hand tightly. Bella throws her arms around my neck, pulling me in for my final hug. 

"Please, for the love of God, kiss Harry at some point. For my sake." I laugh and silently thank Bella for lightening the mood. She never did like serious moments. 

"No promises," I joke and she grins, satisfied with my answer. 

"We love you so much. Call us all the time with updates," Zoey says.

"I will. Call me when y'all land," I say and they all nod. 

"Guys, we have to go," Bella says, glancing at her phone. "Our flight is leaving soon." 

I rush forward, pulling all of them into a hug as a tear builds in my eye. They wrap their arms around me, cocooning me. 

"I'm scared," I say, barely above a whisper. 

"We know," Emma rubs my back. "But you are more than capable. We believe in you." Zoey and Bella hum in agreement, all holding me tightly. 

"I love y'all," I choke out. They all repeat it back to me and my heart lurches again. "Okay," I say, pulling back from them and wiping a tear. "Go, catch your flight. Be safe."