fifty

ROSIE'S POV

I twiddle my thumbs nervously as I wait beside the stage for Harry to come. Everyone moves around me in a panic, and I watch as Jeff bites his thumb anxiously. 

"The show starts in seven minutes," he stresses to me, his eyes wide and nervous. 

"He'll be ready," I assure him with a confident nod. "He always pulls through."

"I know he does but this time is different," Jeff sighs again and runs a hand through his hair. Just as I open my mouth to continue defending Harry, he finally emerges from his dressing room with Mitch trailing behind him. Jeff lets out a sigh of relief and immediately walks towards him to say a few words. 

He's dressed in the same clothes as his album cover, a detail he was quite proud of coming up with. Nerves radiate off of him and fill the air; it's impossible to deny the stress and agony written all across his face. 

If only he knew. 

"You look awesome!" I cheer when he finally reaches where I stood next to the wings. He forces an unconvincing smile that makes my heart pang sadly. My eyes scan his face and try to think of what to say to make him feel better. 

If only he knew. 

"Don't be nervous," I smile softly and reach out to rub his arm comfortingly. "You're going to be amazing." 

"That's not what I'm upset about," he says sadly and I grimace, knowing exactly what he is referring to. But then, my smile reappears on my face, growing twice in size. 

"Everything is going to be amazing," I say honestly, knowing what was about to happen. I watch him as he tries to not roll his eyes at my words, clearly unconvinced. "Trust me. Everything is going to be...perfect." 

Emotions swim through his eyes as a staff member hands him his microphone. I give him arm a final squeeze before he turns to walk towards Jeff. I watch him anxiously as he walks further and further away from me, and when he is finally out of sight, a burst of excitement floods through my veins.

I pull my phone out of my pocket quickly and feel another burst of nerves wash over me. As I rush towards the back exit of the building, I hear the beginning notes of "Golden" playing and the crowd goes wild. I flash smiles at the staff members and do my best to look as unassuming as possible but am failing miserably. 

I push the back door open and immediately scan the area in front of me. Within seconds, I locate the black car parked a few feet away from me. The car door opens and relief sits comfortably in my chest. I'm unable to hide my excitement as I take the sight in. 

"God, I missed you," I confess with a sigh before reaching forward and pulling her into my arms. 

"I missed you more," Janie responds, wrapping her arms tightly around me. I soak in the moment, still in disbelief that she's standing in front of me. I pull away for moment to take in her appearance. 

"You cut your hair," I remark with a smile, already imagining Harry's reaction to the shorter length. She grabs at the ends of her hair with a matching smile. 

"I needed a change," she grins before engulfing me in another hug. 

"He has no idea," I tell her and feel her nod. 

"Good," she says aimlessly before letting go of me. "How is he?" 

"Not great," I sigh and sadness covers her features. "But he's about to be a hell of a lot better." 

"Do you think he'll forgive me?" She asks nervously, spinning the ring he gave her around her finger anxiously. 

"There is no doubt in my mind that he is going to be over the moon to see you," I say honestly and she sighs, visibility relaxing at my words. 

"Okay," she nods, trying to calm herself down. "I'm nervous." 

"Don't be," I reach out and squeeze her hand. "He will be...thrilled." 

"Alright, then," she nods and takes my hand. "Let's do this." 

I sling a VIP pass over her neck before leading her through the back door to the venue. We flash our passes and the guard waves us along. She keeps her head down as I hold her hand tightly, leading her to the wings of the stage where Jeff stood. 

Jeff is watching Harry perform, nervousness still evident in the way he stands and bites on his thumb. All of that changes, however, when he spots me leading Janie through the venue. He lets out a loud sigh of relief before practically doubling over, grabbing at his knees. 

"Oh, thank fucking god," he breathes before pulling Janie into an unexpected hug. "Thank god you're back."

"Good to see you, too, Jeff," she giggles, wrapping her arms around him as well. 

"Are you back for good?" He questions after pulling away and she nods. 

"As long as he'll have me, yeah. I'm here to stay." 

Jeff lets out a small laugh as he shakes his head with a grin. 

"Well, welcome home." 

"I'm taking her to the box," I explain and he nods, his manager tendencies returning. 

"Okay, sounds good. Do you two need an escort?" He asks and I shake my head. 

"No, we should be good." I turn to the stage and try to listen to see which song he was on. When I hear that he is on the first chorus of "Adore You," I look at Janie with panic. "We need to go," I say, grabbing her hand again. With one final smile at Jeff, I swerve and move us through the back hallways of the venue. 

We reach the box in record time, just moments before the final notes of "Adore You." I turn to her as I let out a relieved exhale, one of many tonight. 

I turn to her with a grin and I can see the utter joy radiating from her. 

"Are you ready?" I ask rhetorically and she nods excitedly. 

"I've never been more ready for anything in my entire life," she beams. Before I can say another word, Harry speaks for me. 

"We're going to recreate the video if you'd all like to come on stage," he says from the stage, making the crowd erupt into cheers. "I'm joking," he adds. Janie lets out a giggle, and when I turn to look at her, pride is oozing out of her every pore. Her eyes are filled with adoration as she takes him in and watches him in his element. 

"God, he looks good," she all but groans, and I let out a loud laugh before bumping her shoulder playfully. 

"Wait until you see him perform," I wink. As if he's listening to our conversation, the music begins.

The room fills with cheers as the initial notes of "Lights Up" begins playing and I watch Janie as she melts at the sound of the song. She closes her eyes for a minute, almost as if she can't believe that she's standing here, in this room right now. 

What do you mean? 

I'm sorry, by the way

Never coming back down...