twenty-nine

JANIE'S POV

"Oh, for fucks sake," Harry groans out as he drops his head backward dramatically. I stifle a chuckle, looking to the ground to avoid eye contact. 

"C'mon, H. Try again," Tom encourages. Harry lifts his head back up and makes direct eye contact with me. With a twinkle in his eye, he smirks smugly. 

"I just think the wording is wrong," he argues and Tom sighs. All day, Harry had been playful and arrogant, doing nothing but talking back and arguing with each of the writers. On top of that, he had spent the majority of the day smirking at me or in my direction, and it hadn't gone unnoticed by the other writers. 

We had been working on "Adore You" for the past few days, and we thought it was ready for recording. But once we had gotten in the studio, Harry had been incredibly difficult to work with and kept finding errors in the song. 

"Something is wrong," he explains and the other writers groan. I agreed with Harry but I always tried to speak up as little as possible. When the two of us are writing, I always add my comments and concerns, but in the company of such amazing writers, I find it difficult to speak up. 

"I think it sounds perfect," Mitch responds, giving it back to Harry. Harry glares at him, half-jokingly, as Tom sighs again. 

"Can you just try it again?" Tom groans. 

"Fine," Harry scowls with humor in his eyes. I bite my lip to hide my smile, clearly the only one amused by his antics. The band starts again as Tom and I watch. 

Oh, hell

I'd walk through fire for you

Just let me adore you

Oh, hell

"Stop stop stop," Harry says loudly into the microphone and the band ceases their playing. I hear Tom sigh out next to me, obviously frustrated with Harry not cooperating. Harry was typically a dream to work with; open to ideas and concepts, creative beyond words, and of course, a fantastic musician all around. 

"I'm telling you, it's wrong," 

"It's a great song," Tom argues. 

"I know it's great, but there is something wrong with it." 

"I don't think I like "Oh, hell,'" I pipe up, surprising myself, and all the heads in the room snap to look at me. It was the first time I had spoken in what seemed like hours. Harry shoots me a mischievous smirk before saying, "go on." 

"I don't know. It's a sweet song. You're telling a girl you'd do anything to just love and adore her. So, why "oh, hell?" I say before feeling myself sink down meekly. I hated having everyone's eyes on me, especially these eyes. The eyes of the incredibly talented musicians and writers who I aspire to be like. 

"What do you suggest then?" Harry challenges me, smugness still written all over his face. 

"I don't know, maybe try out some pet names? Like baby, sweetie, love? Just try out a few different ones, see if those feel any better," I shrug, trying to ignore the blush that was creeping up on my cheeks. Tom looks at me and nods, clearly impressed with my suggestion. The rest of the band seems to hum in agreement as Harry digests the thought. 

"Alright, let's run it a few times through," he says to the band. 

"Oh, baby," he sings out and I scrunch my face in displeasure. He meets my eye and nods, on the same page as me. Then, he sings out "oh, darlin'" before making the same face as I did before.