twenty-six

JANIE'S POV

When I woke up, everything was good. The birds woke me up with their morning song, interrupting my idealistic dreams. After a perfect day with Harry, I had fallen asleep in pure bliss. Everything was back to normal with us, if not even better. We wrote and finished a song in a day, a new record for us. After a week of discomfort, we were back to our normal selves, reading each other's minds, and finishing each other's sentences. As my eyes fluttered open, I let out a content sigh. My drapes were open, letting the golden sunlight in. I haven't felt this good in a while.

I roll over to grab my phone off my bedside table to check and see if Harry wanted me to come into the studio today. But when I turn my phone on, I'm taken aback by the number of notifications on my home screen.

Over four hundred Instagram notifications, countless Twitter mentions, and the group chat with my friends has hundreds of texts. Confused, I swipe to open my phone and click on the group message. Overwhelmed with the number of messages, I send a text:

Janie: What the hell is going on?

Immediately, the responses flood in.

Emma: Good lord. FINALLY you're awake

Bella: Have you seen the article???

Zoey: Has Charlie seen it?

I feel a pit beginning to form in my stomach as I sit up, fully focusing on the texts.

Janie: What article?

Emma: Oh Jesus.

Bella: Someone send it again

Zoey sent three attachments.

I feel my stomach fully drop as I read the words on the screen. It was a series of screenshots from a Cosmopolitan Snapchat article. The headline read: "Harry Styles' New Mystery Girl" and was accompanied by a picture of us from when we left the cafe. Our arms were around each other and his lips were pressed to the side of my head. My sunglasses covered my eyes but it was impossible to ignore the huge smile that spread across my face. I swiped to the next screenshot and my heart feels as though it's about to burst out of my chest. It was a picture of me leaving Harry's house in his tee-shirt. The third screenshot was a picture taken from my Instagram from my college graduation. I was smiling widely in my graduation gown as I held my diploma. My account was private, how the hell did they even get that?! The article explained how they believed it to be me due to Harry, Mitch, and Rosie all following me on Instagram within the last few weeks. The article ended with "Swipe up for more updates about this blooming romance!"

My entire body felt like it was on fire. I swiped over to my Instagram and saw thousands of follow requests. I knew if I went onto Twitter I would see my name being mentioned in accordance with Harry's.

Janie: What the fuck.

Zoey: Are you okay?

Janie: Not at all

Emma: Has Charlie texted you?

Janie: No, I doubt he's seen it. He never goes on Snapchat. At least I hope he hasn't seen it.

Bella: How the hell did they get that picture from your Instagram?