well he was just hanging around

Brendon and I walked down the sidewalk to his house. "Are you positive your dad's fine with you never home?" He asked, his hand intertwined in mine. "Yeah, I doubt he notices anyways." I shrugged. "Dude, you literally live with him. How would he not notice?" He raised an eyebrow. "Not very observant, I guess." I responded.

     "Ry, are you and your dad okay?" He asked with concern in his eyes. "Yeah, we're fine. Thank you, though." I nodded. "Are you sure? Because-"

     "We're fine. Look, what happens happens and it's not that big of a deal." I told him, indicating that I want to change the topic. Instead of a new topic, we stayed silent for the rest of the walk to his house.

     Once we arrived, I stepped through the door and Brendon's mom immediately looked at me. "Ryan! Hello! Do you want anything to eat?" She asked me. I shook my head. "I'm alright, thank you." I responded.

     Brendon and I went upstairs into his room and hopped onto his bed.

     "So, what happened during lunch, you didn't have to do that." Brendon started the conversation. "Well, I can't just sit back and watch you all alone." I said. "Well now you're gonna be pushed around and shit too." He frowned. "I don't mind, as long as you're okay." I told him. Brendon laughed and rolled his eyes. "You know, you're one cheesy motherfucker." He grinned. "Yeah, but you like it." I pulled him down into a hug.

The two of us laughed until, eventually, Brendon let out a sigh. "I'm gonna have to tell my mom eventually." He said. I raised an eyebrow. "About this, you know? I can't just.. hide myself from my own mom." He told me. I sat up. "Don't force yourself." I told him. "I know, I know." He sighed.

I sunk back down into the bed. My phone started receiving notifications like mad. "Oh, my service is back." I mumbled. I picked up my phone and noticed that everything was coming from Snapchat. Everything had someone's name followed by, 'mentioned you in their story'.

I opened the app and immediately went to check people's stories. Sure enough, people got pictures of Brendon and I and were sharing them all over social media. I sighed. "God, these people can't get our names out of their mouths." I muttered before posting something that simply said, "shut the fuck up."

     Dallon was first to respond. I checked his message, and it was exactly what I expected. It was him talking shit about me. About us. "Fucking creeps, taking pictures of us kissing." I whispered.

     Brendon peeked over my shoulder. "Oh." He said. I looked to him and watched his face turn pale. "It'll be okay. It won't matter in six months, will it?" I tried to make him feel better. "I don't know, I mean, maybe? Some things carry on forever." He shook his head. "But not something like a bunch of kids sharing pictures of a kiss. Eventually, they'll all forget about it and will wonder why the hell they have a picture of guys kissing in their photos." I told him.

     Brendon nodded and opened up the camera app on his phone before planting a kiss on my cheek. "I'll know why I have a picture of guys kissing in my photos." He grinned and laid down on the bed. I did the same.

     "Ry, what are we?" Brendon asked. "What?" I hummed. "I mean, we were best friends but now we're... this. What is this?" He motioned between us. I sighed. "I really don't know, to be honest with you. We're just... us." I responded. Brendon looked up at the ceiling.

     "How long?" Brendon broke the silence. I turned to face him and he turned to face me. I raised an eyebrow. "How long have you felt this way?" He asked. "A couple weeks ago, maybe. I know it was the same week I got you in trouble when I commented on your Instagram." I told him. He nodded. "You?" I asked. "Maybe around four to five months, I don't know." He said. "Shit, four to five months?" My eyes widened.

     Brendon held back a laugh. "Yeah. I didn't think it was something I needed to bring up, then it turned into me being scared of the thought of you finding out, and now it's this." He nodded. "Holy shit." I muttered. "Mhm, and I was dead certain that you weren't into guys." He said.

     This time, I was the one who tried not to laugh. "Me too until maybe a couple weeks ago." I said. Brendon started laughing.

     The two of us let silence take over once more as we stared into each others eyes. "We should go somewhere this weekend. The movies, maybe?" I brought up. Brendon raised an eyebrow. "What movie?" He asked. "I don't know. Any movie they're playing, I guess." I shrugged. Brendon shifted closer to me. "So is it gonna be like a date or..?" He trailed off. "Do you want it to be?" I asked. "Do you?" He mumbled. "Yeah." I grinned.

     I felt my heart pump madly as I said that. My first date with Brendon. Brendon smiled. "Then it's a date." He said before pressing his lips on my cheek.

     "You missed by a little." I said, pointing at my lips. Brendon rolled his eyes and laughed. "You're crazy." He mumbled. "About you, yeah." I nodded. Brendon lightly pushed me away before moving closer again. "What was the point of that?" I laughed. "You were being a cheesy dumb ass again." He chuckled. "Once again, you like this cheesy dumb ass." I grinned. "Says who?" Brendon raised an eyebrow. "Says you." I responded.

     Brendon started to laugh again and closed his eyes. "I'm so tired." He mumbled. "Then take a nap." I told him. Brendon sighed and shifted slightly before he opened his eyes and looked at me. "Is there something wrong?" I asked.

     Brendon pressed his lips against mine for some time before shutting his eyes once more. "Did I miss this time?" He asked, voice quiet from how tired he was. "Nope."