Moderately Acceptable

Final part of the Dancing on my own series:

As Dianne was rushed into St Thomas' A and E, Joe felt hopeless as he waited alone. Dianne Buswell was being tested for skull fractures and concussion and something else far too technical for the YouTuber to understand.

He knew immediately he'd have to call her family. The only problem was that he'd never spoken to them before. Sure he assumed they'd know who he was; her family watched strictly every week and seemed so supportive. But he wasn't sure where to start.

Instead Joe decided he'd confide in his own sister. Her advice had saved him from countless situations before he was sure she would continue to be his lifeline.

"Morning Zo, how are you?"

"I'm good good, how's rehearsals this week, semi-finals coming up?"

Zoë was so excited, and Joes heart sunk as he remembered the competition. Would he still have to dance if Dianne couldn't? How on earth could he dance with someone else? It wouldn't be the same experience and the guilt would overwhelm him.

"Yeh Zo about that, we'll not really but yeh"

Joe was stalling, his brain rapidly trying to explain the last hour, or last few weeks in actual English words.

"Dianne's in trouble, we're in A and E now, erm  she called me this morning, I think it was her boyfriend, I don't know what to do Zoë, oh my God Zoë I really don't know what to do?" Joe was sobbing now, his emotions finally catching up and pouring out.

Zoë listened carefully as her brother broke down on the phone. He'd never been good with emotions but this wasn't some silly mistake he'd found himself in, Joe had somehow got involved in a serious domestic violence case. And he was clueless.

"Joe is she gonna be alright?"

"I think so, she's just having some precautionary tests and her bloods are being monitored, Zoe there was so much blood!"

"Hey Joe breathe, you panicking isn't going to help is it?"

Taking a slow, deep breath, Joe calmed himself down as quickly as possible.

"Ok Joe, you're gonna have to make sure she doesn't go back home tonight, she needs to be safe right now,"

"I know Zo big last time I tried to interfere, she told be to fuck off and never get involved in her personal life."

"Last time? This has happened before and you didn't do anything?" Zoë exclaimed loudly.

Joe let out another sob. He knew he should've acted faster.

"I know I know I tried to help but she cut me off, completely, Zoe it's all my fault I could've stopped it,"

"Joe wait, what matters is you've got her here now, don't let her cut you off again okay?"

"I won't, thanks sis!"

"No problem, take care of her though Joseph, girls like her don't come around often!"

Joe tried to ignore the hints his sister was failing to hide. Suggs had never been subtle and his sister was no exception. However, Joe had only just admitted his crush to himself, he wasn't going to admit it to anyone else yet. But looking after Di, that didn't have to be a romantic thing right? He could platonically protect her.

"Hello Sweetheart!"

It was a few hours later, and Dianne had woken up. Doctors had said she could leave later on that day, provided she had somewhere safe to go to. She'd also been given information on domestic violence, a 24 hour helpline and been advised to report George to the police.

"Hi Joe, thanks for staying,"

"Hey it's what any dance partner would do" Joe rubbed Dianne's arms comfortingly.

"Shit Joe, you should've been rehearsing with Janette all day, you've got 2 dances this week and this is your only opportunity and I've ruined it!"

"Dianne it's fine, I can dance with you on Saturday, the doctors said, and I've remembered the steps, I promise it's okay!"

"I'm so sorry if this has ruined your chance of getting to the final,"

"It's not your fault, I'm sorry I didn't do anything sooner,"

"I'm sorry I didn't let you,"

"I guess we're both just sorry then?" Joe asked keen to deescalate the potential altercation that was about to occur.

Dianne nodded meekly. She was tired, suddenly single and scared. There was no way she was going to the police, not yet anyway. She'd speak to her parents over Christmas and go from there. For now though, Joes apartment would become her home, until she found her own place in London.

Unless, Joe felt the same. She regretted her admission as soon as it slipped out of her mouth, luckily Joe hadn't brought it up and it wasn't awkward. Maybe he hadn't heard it, maybe he still didn't know, maybe she'd got away with it.

Unfortunately not. As Joe pulled away from the car park in a hired BMW, far nicer than any car Dianne had been driven in by a boy before, he addressed the elephant in the room.

"Dianne, you should know you can stay at mine fore as long as you need, I really don't want you going back to George!"

"I know, thank you so much, you've done so much for me recently and I was so horrible to you."

"But Di, what you said before, about not liking George..."

"Dianne looked away, not bearing to look at Joes face as he shut her down.

"I like you too, like a lot, more than I've ever liked anyone before but.."

"I know I'm not in the beat place blah blah, honestly Joe I've never been more sure." Dianne interrupted.

"Let me finish, I was gonna sat we need to keep it lowkey for the competition. I've obviously never had a girlfriend before and I really don't know how my viewers will react. They love you and all and..."

"Joseph stop, we're not there yet. I'm definitely not there yet. I've literally come out of a long term relationship this morning. I just think there's something here, and George can't ruin that for either of us."

Joe nodded. Dianne had managed to put into words what he'd been struggling to say all day. He took his hands away from the wheel as he parked and slowly brushed Dianne's hair off her face.

"Although am I finally allowed to do this?"

Joe leaned in slowly, his hands gently cupping Dianne's cheeks. He hesitated and waited for Dianne to nod. Wow he really was awkward, she'll pull away now! But she didn't pull away.

And for the first time of many, their lips collided in a passionate yet gentle kiss. The electric connection was felt by them both and goose bumps appeared all over their skin.

Pulling away, Joe gazed into his dance partners eyes.

"I guess that was nice."

"Yeah I suppose it was moderately acceptable!"

The couple collapsed into giggles like a teenage romance but Dianne was happy.

For the first time in months, Dianne was happy, safe and secure, and it was thanks to one man: Joseph Sugg