High School

This ones a little different again, let me know if you enjoy it!

"Joe, Caspar, settle down please, the sine rule won't teach itself you know!" Miss Davies, the set 2 year 11 maths teacher, scalded from across the room.

"But Miss it's not actually that hard, you just use the equation and it's written on the board." Caspar answered back, confident as he'd already finished the worksheet.

"Shut up Caspar, you're not impressing anyone." Stacey laughed from across the room.

Joe however had zoned out of the class discussion going on around him. You might think he was getting his head down and finally learning some trigonometry 3 months before his exams, but no, Joe's attention was on his girlfriend, who was sat quietly at the back of the class. She'd been off sick all week and even now, Thursday, she had a green tint covering her normally fairly tan skin. Moreover, Dianne hadn't spoken to him for more than 5 minutes that morning, which was most unusual. She obviously still wasn't right. He continued to stare, hoping she'd notice and he'd be able to check she was alright.

Suddenly Dianne's hand stretched up, grabbing the attention of Miss Davies and the rest of her table.

"Miss, please can I go to the toilet?" She asked quickly, standing as she spoke.

"If you must Miss Buswell, be quick though." The teacher sighed, giving Dianne the toilet pass on her way out. Dianne moved with such pace that Joe could barely acknowledge what was happening. He managed to mouth a quick you okay? as she sprinted out but was only met with a gentle shake of her head. Furthermore, Dianne was at the toilet for about 20 minutes, only returning for the last 5 minutes of lesson, only adding to Joe's increasing stress.

"Hey you alright?" Joe asked softly pulling the petite teenager into his chest when she leant against him at the start of lunch.

"I don't feel good." Dianne whimpered, nuzzling her head in further. Joe started to lead her over to side of the corridor, away from their school friends and any other prying eyes. Dianne started to whine with this sudden movement which elevated the pounding in her head.

"Sweetheart I'm just getting us out of the way alright?" Joe cooed, massaging her back slightly as he walked. "Alright? It's just us now." Joe pulled out of the hug to examine his girlfriends pale face, he caressed her cheeks and kissed her forehead. "I don't think you've got a temperature Dot."

"I don't, that's why mum sent me in, I'm really dizzy Joe, can you hold me a second?" Dianne leant against her boyfriends body again, burying her head in his torso.

"I think you should go home Dot, you can't stay in this afternoon, I'm scared you're gonna faint!" Joe said, teasing her scalp.

"Mum sent me in though, I don't think she'll pick me up." Dianne started to cry into Joe's shoulder.

"Hey try and take a deep breath, you don't wanna make yourself sick again, do you?" Joe asked, hoping to stop the tears.

"No, I've been so ill all week though Joe, I'm so tired and urghhh." She squeezed her arms around him tighter, hoping if she held him close enough, she could disappear and not have to spend the afternoon in science and English lessons. "I think I'm gonna be sick again Joe." Dianne whimpered, slowly pulling herself out of the embrace.

"Okay, maybe you should go to the nurse, if she sees you throw up, she'll have to send you home?" Joe asked, leading her towards the female toilets where he knew the first aid was. Dianne nodded, the little colour that was present in her face fading, and fresh tears pricking her eyes.

"I'm going home, I was sick 3 times so the nurse said I had to, even though I tried to stop her calling mum." Dianne said, leaning once again into Joe who had waited alone outside the girls bathroom.