Almost Bliss

This was actually meant to be the first part of this story, but I never got around to finishing it. So here we go! Hope you enjoy the mild drama.

OH, and I hope the title disturbed you! :D

- - -

     "Keefe, what is that smell?" Sophie demanded as the infamous mischief-maker plopped down on her bed with a sly smirk on his face.

     "You probably don't want to know," he admitted. "I know how weak your stomach is, so it's probably better if you don't find out, for my hair's sake. I'd hate it if it got messed up because someone barfed all over m—"

     Sophie flung her hand up to cover his mouth. "Thanks, I don't need to hear anymore!"

     He chuckled through her hand, which she suddenly realized was touching his lips. She hated being so self-conscious and a silly boy-obsessed girlie girl, but it was so very hard to focus when someone like Keefe walked in unannounced.

     She pulled her hand back too quickly as she asked, "So, why are you bothering me this fine afternoon? I was trying to finally finish my project when you barged in for no reason at all."

Sandor was so getting yelled at for not warning her later.

     "Wooooah Foster," Keefe said, "calm down. What's up? Grumpypants isn't usually your style."

     Sophie rolled her eyes, letting out an exasperated sigh. "Nothing's wrong, Keefe."

     When he gave her a skeptical look, she sighed and said, "Fine, maybe I haven't slept in a few... days. But that's not a big deal. I need to finish this project."

     He scooted closer and grabbed her hands, which were reaching for her school things. "Ohhhh no you don't."

     "Hey!" Sophie screeched, a giggle slipping out despite how she attempted to hide it as she tried to struggle free. "Let me go!"

     "I can't let you over-work yourself like this for the Black Swan," Keefe said gently, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, making her freeze. "Even I know this isn't healthy. You've never gone this crazy over an assignment before. What's really going on, Sophie?"

     She was taken aback—-as she always was—-that he'd used her first name. She was so flustered that she couldn't think of an excuse or a lie, so the truth spilled out as soon as his ice blue eyes met hers.

"I- I've just had a lot on my mind about some things. That's all."

"Oooo, is it time for Blondie to pour out her heart now?" Ro said from the corner, making Sophie jump slightly. She'd forgotten about the unforgettable ogre princess, somehow. "Wait wait, let me guess. Something to do with Prince Fancypants Vacker? Am I right? What's my prize?"

Ro's grin was so wide and wicked that Sophie felt her own face scrunch up in a scowl.

     "No! ...Yes. I don't know. It's a lot of things all tangled up together inside my head. But, if you must know" —Sophie gave them both a look she hoped conveyed how much this seriously put her out— "Fitz was the catalyst."

     Keefe raised an eyebrow at her phrasing, and she hit him (mostly) playfully just because of the face he was making. "You know what I mean!"

     He laughed for a moment, then his face became more serious, which surprised Sophie. "Foster, I'm sorry he hurt you. Honestly, I am. He's my best friend, and I don't like to think badly of him, but... he wasn't patient with you."