Sorry, I'm Taken (Human AU)

DID THAT TITLE INTEREST YOU LOL

Yes, this will be crazy. No, I am not sorry. And no, I can't guarantee she'll actually end up with Keefe this time. Wait and see... *author smirk*

- - -

Sophie practically skipped into school. Yes, skipped. But how could she not? She was about to be with her true love. And that made her almost fine with enduring these cursed hours. Though she had a photographic memory and easily sailed through most of her work, she still hated math with a burning passion. Sure, it was logical, but... when was she going to use any of the math she was learning in high school in real life? She knew she didn't want a future in anything to do with it, so—

"Hey Foster!" a voice called, thankfully interrupting her thoughts. Sophie recognized it almost immediately and smiled, stopping and turning to face her good friend.

"Oh, hey Keefe!"

"You look happy," he commented with a smirk, sidling up beside her and wrapping an arm around her shoulders casually as they walked. She rolled her eyes, but didn't push him off. He was just a natural flirt; Keefe Sencen wasn't going to get in the way of her and...

Just thinking about the blessed one made her grin from ear to ear, which seemed to get Keefe's attention. "Seriously though, Foster. What's with the sudden happiness? You've been stressed for weeks. And, honestly, can't blame you. Sooo, what happened?"

The mention of her former stress had Sophie go into a few memories that felt centuries long, but couldn't have taken more than a fraction of a second to go through her mind. She felt a shiver run down her back, and her fists clenched on instinct. Why? Well, that answer was probably the simplest that Sophie could ever give.

Sophie had been a part of an experiment conducted by a secret society that flew under the government's radar, but only meant to help it. She had been an agent since Seventh Grade, training to use her unique capabilities to make the world a better place.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a very safe or trauma-free thing to be a part of.

Shaking of her past for the time being, Sophie shrugged and said, "I dunno."

Keefe placed his free hand over his heart. "Foster Foster Foster! How dare you lie to me?"

Keefe, one of Sophie's better friends, was also a part of the Black Swan's — the organization — experiment. They were training him to be like a human lie detector, and Sophie kept stupidly underestimating his incredible skill in what he did.

Without warning, a hand swatted Keefe's arm away and dragged her off into the building. After a minute, thankfully, they stopped in a quiet spot, and Sophie turned to see if it was Fitz, Dex, or Biana.

"You clearly needed saving," Biana said with a laugh as Sophie met her gaze. She wasn't that surprised, honestly, but she still shoved her friend playfully.

"I was just fine! He would've figured it out eventually anyway, right? That I'm taken? It's kind of hard to ignore," Sophie commented, hoping that she was right for his sake.

"I mean, probably. It's pretty obvious," Biana said with a smirk, glancing at Sophie's hand for added affect before meeting Sophie's eyes again with her sparkly teal ones that were so much like her brother's.

Biana was the stealth experiment. She was the quietest, sneakiest person Sophie had ever come across, especially after the experimentation, and she could blend in so easily when she wanted to.

But, usually, Biana Vacker kind of stood out.

Why? Oh, because she was a queen. That's all.

In all seriousness, though, Biana was the most popular girl at Foxfire High. There was no getting around it, no denying it. So why she hung out with Sophie outside the Black Swan? She'd never know.