Quarentine Sucks

"LET. ME. OOOOOOUT." Nails scraped against door, and Biana giggled from her corner.

Sophie honestly couldn't blame Keefe's show of drama, though. She was feeling a little bit like doing the same herself at this point, but not quite yet. She still had a few brain cells left.

Keefe flopped back on the couch in Havenfield's living room, coincidentally crushing Dex in the process. While Keefe seemed to be in another world, though, Dex growled and tried to squirm out.

It was like watching all your friends and family go insane. Everyone was going stir-crazy except for Tam and Linh, and any maturity they'd had before this stupid pandemic started was fading away like a distant memory.

Actually, I take that back, Sophie amended mentally. It is watching all your friends and family go insane.

Quarantine. COVID-19. Sophie was sure everyone on Earth had heard those terms at least three times a day for the past few months months.

And why were they all stuck? How had the pandemic broken out?

Because the Neverseen were diabolical. That's why.
(Hence my most-recently-posted meme on my Instagram, keefe.fangirl hahaha)

They were trying to wear Sophie and her friends down, along with the Black Swan and the Council. They wanted them to break down, surrender. But Sophie refused to let that happen, even if she had to die stuck in her house. She hoped it wouldn't come to that, but...

Maybe if they had all just kept better hygiene, they wouldn't be here right now, suffering. But every time she thought that, Sophie's mind instantly shook its head at her, pointing out that the Neverseen could've just targeted a specific people to spread it around just as easily. They could have been the cleanest people on Earth, and still not have stood a chance.

How had Sophie ended up getting quarantined with all her friends for months? Well, they'd all been at Havenfield working on some strategy when the Council released the announcement: the coronavirus was out of control. Everywhere. Including in the Lost Cities.

Now, they'd been stuck together for about three months. And they were all going just a little stir-crazy, even though the Council promised that it was almost over, and they'd been given a few more freedoms.

Biana shot up from her spot suddenly, startling everyone. Keefe even fell off of Dex and landed on the floor with a loud THUD.

"We should play truth or dare!" she exclaimed excitedly, eying everyone in a way that gave Sophie the feeling like they weren't getting out of it.

"You know, I think Miss Sparkles here is on the right track," said Ro — Keefe's ogre princess bodyguard — smiling an evil smile that made Sophie's stomach turn a few dozen times.

Biana squealed, and wasted no time; she raced around the room, dragging everyone to its center and sitting them down on the floor in a misshapen circle, lightly slapping on the shoulder anyone who dared to try and get up.

"Do we... have to?" Dex asked, his eyes going all puppyish. He sounded like he wanted to whine, but somehow, he managed to refrain.

"Yes!" Biana cried, actually looking wounded. "Of course you do!"

Sophie exchanged a glance with Fitz, who sighed and shrugged as if to say, There's nothing we can do, so we may as well just do it.

Reluctantly, Sophie nodded and turned her face back to Biana, who had taken her place in the sort-of-circle. At least Grady and Edaline were outside with the animals and wouldn't witness her embarrassment.