31. 𝗶'𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗶𝗻

IT WAS TIME.

Only five of the heroes showed up that day to watch Steve send back the Stones to their rightful time era. In the distance, construction crew members were removing rubble from the Avengers Compound, and a command tent stood in a clearing beside the new Quantum Tunnel.

"Remember," Bruce snaps open the briefcase to show all six of the Infinity Stones secured. "You have to return the Stones to the exact moment you got 'em, or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

Closing it back up, Steve takes it, reassuring his friend. "Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches."

"You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the Stones," everyone looks up at Bruce, understanding exactly what he was talking about--or rather who. "I really tried to bring her back. I miss her, man."

Steve purses his lips. "Me, too."

Darcy watched the two friends talk when she walks over and stands beside Bucky. "You decided to stay, huh?"

Bucky looks to his side, smiling at Darcy, and nods. "Yeah. I would, you know, but . . . that's not me anymore," the man smiles softly. Then he looks at Darcy, frowning a bit when he reminds himself of how the woman ended up in this timeline as well, suffering the same fate he once did. "Why don't you tag along? Maybe you can go back to how things used to be . . . with your mom and dad."

Darcy swallows, not really up for the conversation, but the woman did think about it and for a while. It was tempting. "I know. I thought about it a lot. I mean, a chance to go back into time and get my life back before it turned to shit, who wouldn't?" Bucky smiles sorrowfully at his friend. He was beginning to understand. "But . . . I finally found my life here."

"I know that look," Bucky suddenly realizes. He stands a little taller with a grin growing on his face. "That's the same look Steve had when he met Peggy. Who's the lucky guy?"

"Girl, actually," Darcy freely corrects, not as nervous as she once was anymore-- she finally understood her feelings, and the woman knows that she's in love with Sofia. Darcy's in love with Sofia. "She's the reason."

Bucky smiles happily at the woman. "I'm happy for you, Darc," Darcy looks at him, smiling briefly. "I hope I can meet her one day."

Darcy grins. "I'm sure she'd love that. She's a huge fan of yours for some reason."

"You know, if you want, I could come with you," Sam's voice spoke up and taking Darcy and Bucky's attention away from their conversation to the others'. "Nervous to go by yourself? Ask nicely, and I'll go with you."

The two friends pause in their steps. Steve smiles lopsidedly. "You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though," Sam nods and moves to the side for Steve to walk over to his long-time best friend. "Don't do anything stupid till I get back."

Bucky hums, grinning because his friend was using his words against him. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

Knowing something the other men didn't, the two friends embrace in a hug before pulling apart. Bucky crinkles his brows but manages to put a smile on his face.

"Gonna miss you, buddy," Bucky whispers.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck," then Steve turns his direction to Darcy, who was smiling just as sad as Bucky, but she was also happy for him. Steve exhales shakily before stepping over towards the woman, and he offers her a smile. "Will you be okay?"

Darcy chuckles before sniffling. "Of course I'll be alright. The real question is: will you?"

"I will be," Steve promises, nodding. But then he looks at the woman with a more stern look. "Don't worry about me, you hear? Cherish the moments you have with Sofia."