Chapter 06: I Don't Want to Be Sad

March 2004

Jessica arrived at the Beacon Hills Public School to pick up Stiles, Scott was going home with the Raeken's for the afternoon otherwise Jessica would have gotten both boys. Jessica wiped at her eyes praying that Stiles didn't see as he raced up to her. He would know that blue Jeep anywhere, it was going to be his one day. Jessica had, had it since her sixteenth birthday, the year before.

"Mom'll be home won't she?" Stiles looked up at Jessica as he stood beside what was their mothers old Jeep.

"Not this time," Jessica crouched down in front of Stiles at the primary school and wrapped her arms around him. "Mom's back in hospital," Jessica told him as she felt his arms wrap around her neck.

"When?" Stiles asked into her neck as he kept his arms wrapped tightly around Jessica while she stood up.

"Dad took her after we went to school," Jessica told him as she carried him around to the passenger side opening the door at the same time. "We're going there now,"

"Where's dad?" Stiles was full of questions, too many questions to focus on buckling himself into the car. "Jess?"

"He had to go into work, and I have to drop you there," Jessica said buckling him in before going around to the drivers side. "I promise I'll only be gone a few hours,"

Stiles nodded he wasn't sure about being left alone in the hospital with their mother. Jessica drove them to the hospital, taking Stiles into the hospital seeing Melissa on the way. Stiles gripped Jessica's hand tighter as they walked passed the nurses station. He didn't like being there alone, especially if it wasn't a good day for their mother.

"It's okay Stiles, I promise," Jessica squeezed Stiles hand as they walked into the room that Claudia was in. "Hey mom,"

"Hi sweetpea, mischief my darling boy," Claudia smiled at the two as she saw them, Jessica smiled and pushed Stiles into the room the nearly ten year old trying to hide behind his sister. Jessica crouched down in front of him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug before kissing the top of his head.

"Mommy, are you coming home?" Stiles asked, cautiously as he went and sat in the chair beside his mothers bed.

"I'm afraid not sweetheart," Claudia looked up to Jessica as she hugged her mother. "Your brother will be fine here," Claudia smiled at her, Jessica hated that she had to leave Stiles alone with their mother they never knew what they were going to end up with.

Three days later and Stiles was alone in the hospital with their mother when she passed away. Jessica was on her way to pick him up when Melissa had called and told her what happened as she pulled into the hospital car park. Jessica raced into the hospital and found Stiles sitting on Melissa's lap with her arms wrapped tightly around him.

"Stiles, come here," Jessica sat on the seat beside Melissa and turned to face them holding her arms out for the almost ten year old.

"You...you promised," Stiles mumbled climbing into his sisters arms and wrapping his own little arms tightly around her neck. "Mommy..."

"I know, and I'm sorry," Jessica managed to get out as tears rolled down her cheeks and she held Stiles close to her body.

"Your dad's on his way," Melissa spoke quietly Jessica and Stiles as she pulled them into her arms and hugged the two of them. Jessica nodded sniffling and wiping at her eyes before giving up and just holding onto Stiles as he cried into her arms.