s e v e n

Not a ship oneshot, just a special birthday one for my fave boy. Enjoy ♡

Today is April 12, and while Kaito wished it was under better circumstances, it is his birthday.

This will be the first year he isn't celebrating with his grandparents and friends back at home, the first year celebrating his birthday with a bunch of people that were mere strangers five months ago, now his closest friends.

It had been five months since their lives had changed forever, stuck in a killing game run by some robotic bear. Funny how things turn out, huh? Luckily everyone was strong willed and no murders had happened yet, and they hoped it stayed that way.

Of course, Kaito didn't know he would be celebrating his birthday at all. Little did he know, the other 15 teens were getting everything ready for a surprise party, courtesy of Shuichi and Maki.

- - -

"Kokichi please stop messing around and go help Kirumi!" Shuichi sighed, taking Kokichi away from the snack table, they had set up different jobs for everyone. Kokichi was to help Kirumi and Ryoma cook.

"I don't want to, stupid head!" Kokichi stuck out his tongue, acting childish on purpose since he knew how much it pissed Shuichi off.

Tired of Kokichi's antics, Shuichi let him go, walking back to where Maki, Angie, and Gonta were setting up decorations.

"Thank you, Gonta! You're a big help!" Angie smiled from on top of Gonta's shoulders, tacking a banner to the wall of the Cafeteria.

"Gonta like being helpful to everyone! Is there anything else Gonta can do to help Angie?" Gonta helped Angie off of his shoulders, putting her down gently.

Angie clasped her hands together, a thoughtful look on her face. Seconds later her eyes lit up, a smile across her face.

"Ah, Gonta! You can help me get streamers from the storage unit! I completely forgot to bring them along with the other supplies." Angie quickly grabbed Gonta by the hand, dragging him along with her.

The two left behind smiled, Angie and Gonta had formed quite the friendship since all this began, and Shuichi thought it was one of the most wholesome things he had ever seen.

"Well, I suppose we better finish up the decorations, it's almost dinner time which means Kaito will be heading for the cafeteria soon." Maki pointed at the clock that hung on the wall, the time read 4:00pm

Earlier that day, Shuichi had found glow in the dark star stickers in the storage unit, along with some black lights, and glow in the dark paint. He had thought out his design idea very carefully, and even asked Miu if she could make some laser beam lights.

Of course Miu had refused initially, but it didn't take much convincing from Shuichi, using Kiibo as bait. He had promised Miu that he would convince Kiibo to let her study him later that night, and she happily obliged, muttering something about enhanced features and special treatment.

Shuichi decided in that moment he no longer wanted the conversation to continue and quickly thanked Miu, leaving her with the written up idea he had came up with earlier.

Now they were here, sticking the stars to the walls and painting some planets and other stars in bright pink, green, yellow, and purple.

"Kaito is going to love this, Shuichi!" Kiibo came forward, carefully inspecting their work, he smiled and placed a surprisingly warm hand on Shuichi's shoulder, squeezing it gently.

"Thanks, Kiibo... I really hope so. It's not space, but it's the next best thing." Shuichi gave a half smile, looking over the finished work. This plan was really coming together.

- - -

By the time Angie and Gonta came back with the streamers, it was nearly time to get into place, Miu had brought the laser beam lights and even made a remote control so they would turn on with just the push of a button.

"Okay guys, It's 5:00pm which means Kaito is gonna be here any minute! Kirumi, please turn the lights off and everyone else hide!" Shuichi crouched behind the dining table along with everyone else, the room immediately lit up with the glow in the dark art he and Maki had created.

Not even a minute later, the sound of the Cafeteria door opening could be heard and the place was immediately flooded with the outside light.

"Something smells good! Wait, what's with the-" Kaito walked through the doors, stopping in his tracks.

"Surprise!" Everyone jumped up from behind the table and Shuichi pressed the button on the remote, making the laser beams come to life.

The door shut behind Kaito as he walked forward, mouth completely agape. The room, completely dark with only the stars, planets, laser beams, and black lights giving off enough light to see everyone clearly.

"Happy birthday, Momota-chan!" Kokichi ran up to Kaito, crashing into him. He wrapped his arms around the taller boys waist, hugging him hard.

"Ah, thank you, Kokichi, but you're kind of... crushing me!" Kaito struggled as Kokichi squeezed him harder until he finally let go, giggling like a child.

Kaito walked toward Shuichi and Maki who engulfed him in a hug, one a lot softer than Kokichi's. The two placed a soft kiss to both of Kaito's cheeks, making him blush.

"Happy birthday, Kaito. We got you a little something!" Maki took out a small house plant from the table behind her, placing the pot in Kaito's hands.

"We know how much you love house plants so... we found some in the garden and thought you would like one!" Shuichi smiled awkwardly, still holding onto his best friend's arm.

Kaito smiled, tears escaping his eyes and rolling down his cheeks, he looked up from the house plant and smiled at everyone in the room.

"Thank you guys... so so much, you have no idea how much this means to me, especially since I've been missing home and my grandparents. Seeing you guys here, putting all of this together just for me? It makes me so happy!" Kaito held the plant in his hands gently, everyone making their way toward him to give him a hug.

"Happy birthday, Kaito! Gonta is very happy you were born today!" Gonta smiled, hugging Kaito, his grip surprisingly not tight. Gonta truly was a gentle giant.

After everyone had given their hugs and presents, Kirumi finally brought out the food for everyone to eat, and of course Kokichi had to boast about how he helped make everything.

The rest of the evening was filled with smiles, dancing, and other silly little activities the group thought would make Kaito happy.

Thankfully, they did. And Kaito ended up having the best birthday hes ever had.

- - -

Hello hello ! I really wanted to do something cute for Kaito's birthday, so here it is! Also the picture up top is like a representation of what I imagined the room would look like! Like a glow in the dark mini golf course haha!