A visit from old faces

I really enjoyed meeting Carli.

She was calm, cool and she's the first person who's been speaking to me like we've known each other forever.

She worried me though. Before she left she asked whether I "wanted to meet our old teammates".

I did the stupid thing.

And said yes.

So now a day later, I'm at the door, waiting for them to arrive.

I hear the doorbell. An odd sound don't you think?

Opening the door, it isn't Carli I see.
Instead, I'm greeted by a woman around my height, with blonde hair and brown eyes.

She appears a bit surprised, probably by my new state, before flashing a smile at me.

Extending a hand, the woman says, "Hey Els! I'm Heather Mitts, or Mittsy as you used to call me, and I was your teammate on the National team for seven years."
I accept the handshake, replying "Pleased to meet you."

I invite Heather in, her chuckling as I tell her to sit in the kitchen before redirecting her to the more relaxed living room.

I don't have much time to give her a drink or speak, as the doorbell rings again over the next hour.

Within this time-space, I'm introduced to Abby Wambach, Heather O'Reilly, Hope Solo, Christie Rampone, Shannon Boxx, Leslie Osborne and Lauren Cheney or Abbs, HAO, Hopey , Captain America, Boxy, Ozzy and Chens as I nicknamed them apparently.

I dunno about some of those nicknames now though.

Carli also dropped by which was helpful.
We were about to get started when the doorbell rang again.
It's seems to startle the lot and when I get up, I hear Carli mutter "I thought she wasn't going to come."

Who wasn't going to come?

I swing the door open to see a blonde, shorter than me, who appears tired.
Unlike the others, upon seeing them, she sighs and I can see the tears filling up her eyes

"Oh Els," she whispers and I feel stuck, in the awkwardness, not knowing what to do.
Then I hear footsteps and the next thing I know, Carli has an arm around my shoulder, her expression filled with sadness as well.
"Hey Kristine," she says and it hits me that I'm standing in the presence of Kristine Lilly, "come in."

Now we're all here and I don't know what to do, my mind again is blank.

What do I want to know?

"What was I like?" The question comes out my mouth, "My first impression?"

I hear a chuckle and I look over to see HAO with a small smile on her face. "I was...pretty annoyed that you were on the team, I'm not going to lie. I felt like it was better trying to get Mia Hamm back."

Now it's Abby turn to laugh. "HAO tried fo break your leg!" She reveals.
HAO instantly gasps in denial. "I did not! I was just...trying to give Els an indicator of what it's like to be on the team."

I'm on the ball, drifting past Boxx, I'm near the goal, trying to find someone to pass to.
Then I feel someone's studs crunch into the back of my leg and I topple over, grunting in agony.

"Ellie! You ok?"
I don't get up at first, although I eventually get assistance from Carli and Hope.
Upon getting to my feet, I see HAO whispering to Abby and giving me a dirty look.
Eventually she turns to me.
"This is the National team. You have to earn your place here fairly!" She spat and I nod in shame, before turning away, pulling up my socks to cover the stud marks that are bleeding.