Taking care

Authors Note: Relate too much to the quote 😭

It's nine in the morning. The kids are at school. So I'm by myself, left to wonder how to confront my husband.

It's not like he cheated on me right? But going to the basement and finding empty beer bottles and poker chips suggest to me that there's still a problem. And a big one as well.

Oh the doorbell's went. Times up. Peering through the door hole, I see a bleary, wasted excuse of a husband.

Harsh huh?
But what was he doing leaving his wife with memory problems at home with two kids?

I let him in and I get a grunt in response before he wearily stomps up the stairs, somewhat resembling a zombie, if humour was allowed in this situation.

So I won't speak to him now. Let him get some rest.
I've got training today having recently signed by the Chicago Red Stars.

The session finished after three hours. Now I'm at home. Hearing a heavy figure heave out of bed, I sigh, knowing I have to confront my husband.

I don't make any contact as he trudges down the stairs and into the kitchen. Devon picks up an orange from the fruit bowl, eating it with its peel intact.
He's now noticed me averting my eyes to my phone as he asks "Are you ok?".

Feeling myself tear up, I shrug before laying my eyes on him. "What is this Devon? That I wanted to end our marriage for? Your gambling and alcohol problems?"
Devon sits down on a chair opposite me, bobbing as if to comfort himself, before quietly replying,
"I can see why you think it's a problem-"
"It is!" I interrupt. "Look at your state! How are you acting like a role model? A father of two?"

Devon shrugs so I decide to drop a bombshell.
"Tobin, she told me the reason why I filed for divorce was because of your drinking and gambling."
For a minute, Devon doesn't look as if he's about to reply, before he slumps his shoulder in defeat.
"I didn't know that."

My voice is still quiet, hoarse by excessive crying.
"So are you going to sort things out? Or is just going to be the same-"

"I don't know ok!" Devon roars. "Shut the fuck up! You drive me insane! Always yapping and whining,whining,whining about poor you! Be quiet for once and stop acting like a bitch!"

I don't know whether he's angry, drunk or insane.
What I do know is that I was rooted to my seat, not even moving when Devon threw the fruit bowl against the wall, smashing glass everywhere, leaving the house and slamming the front door or when I heard the tyres screech against the gravel,signalling him driving off.

I don't know how to think,feel.
All I know is that I would've stayed still had the phone not rang.

"Hello?"
"Um hi,sorry who are you?"
"Kristine?Kristine Lilly?"
"Oh hi."
"(Sigh) Look Ellie you know how sorry I am about how acted."
"It's fine."
"No it's not. I reacted wrongly but I must admit, I was hurt. Very hurt. I was upset that you forgot all about us."
"It's fine. Honestly."
"Ellie are you ok? You sound sad."
"Yeah I'm fine."
"Elanor Nicole Hunter, you may have had memory loss, but I can still tell if you're lying."

I sigh, not caring if Kristine heard.
How can you trust someone you barley know?

"Fine...me and Devon had an argument."
"Oh Ellie, that's ok. Every couple has them."
"Well yes, but this was quite bad."
"What happened?"
"He just yelled and smashed the fruit bowl before leaving."
"Oh, I meant what was the argument about?"
"His use...of alcohol and gambling."
"I knew Devon was a drinker and liked fo gamble, but not that he had a problem. What did you say?"
"I asked him whether he'd get help..."
"What did he say?"
"He said I drive him insane, I should 'shut the fuck up', I always whine,yap and I should instead be quiet and not act like a bitch."
"So I'm guessing that touched a nerve?"
"Well I guess this is something big in our relationship."
"Say again?"
"I only told Tobin this, but the reason why I filed for divorce from Devon is that he wouldn't sort out his problems."
"So why are you letting this go on?"
"I don't know."
"You can't let this go on Ellie. No one will allow that."
"What should I do?"
"Either get him to rehab or end it. No one should be forced to put up with their other's issues. No one should be looking after their lover all the time."
"Did I do that?"
"To say the least."
"Well,damn."
"So what's it going to be Elanor?"
"What do you mean?"
"Is Rehab or the end of your marriage?"
"I'm not going to end my marriage."
"Why is that?"

I have to take another sigh as I feel the vomit rising up my throat. I shouldn't be disgusted by this admission, however I can't help but think what the reaction will be.

"Because I'm...pregnant with his kid."

Authors Note: Well damn! Looks like Ellie's got a dilemma and it's up to the readers to decide.
•Keep the kid?
•Is it a boy or girl?
•What's it's name?
•Is Devon the bad guy?
•Should Ellie stay with him?
Again, thanks for the support and love y'll 🖤